Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer term Ohmmu experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd tend to agree with this. The only thing that it really likely to make Tesla turn towards existing owners in terms of supporting them and keeping them on board is a decline in new sales, and that doesn't look like that's happening any time soon. It doesn't matter to them if an existing customer is not completely happy, as there are 10 more waiting to take delivery of a new car.
I think that's actually a little bit cynical. I think the real story is the Tesla is so huge now and has so many layers of bureaucracy that we don't know about that it's very hard to penetrate into key decision makers around this kind of feedback for what is a modest subset of users. That said the issues that are causing aftermarket lfp batteries to disconnect from their battery Management Systems sensing too high a voltage drive are also blowing up OEM lead acid batteries. My wife's car is a case in point. Within weeks of the error code appearing on my own lfp battery, her battery threw the same error and was promptly replaced under warranty. The good news is they seem to have dialed back on their voltage overdrive and since getting the version 3 Ohmmu battery with its auxiliary sensor or resistor I've had no issues. Knock on 🪵

That said the issues that are causing aftermarket lfp batteries to disconnect from their battery Management Systems sensing too high a voltage drive are also blowing up OEM lead acid batteries.
This is not why LFP batteries throw errors. Like I have said before, I get errors even without a BMS present. If it was this easy, the LFP manufacturers could just up their BMS threshold (LFP can safely be taken to 16.8V, there's just no extra energy stored between 14.6 and 16.8).

They can detect a battery without having it cut out (kinda like they detect failed lead acid batteries that have no BMS either).

Well, this just keeps getting better and better. :rolleyes: This new V3 battery is WAY worse than the V2. Now I've got a Tesla app popup on my phone that says I need to schedule service to have the 12v replaced.

"Schedule service to replace low voltage battery, Software will not update until the battery is replaced".

So I guess I have to swap back to my led acid battery until Ohmmu figures this out.
Does anyone know how to reset this so the 12v warning goes away? I rebooted but it came right back immediately.

Thanks
B.

Reactions: David Sowden
Well, this just keeps getting better and better. :rolleyes: This new V3 battery is WAY worse than the V2. Now I've got a Tesla app popup on my phone that says I need to schedule service to have the 12v replaced.

"Schedule service to replace low voltage battery, Software will not update until the battery is replaced".

So I guess I have to swap back to my led acid battery until Ohmmu figures this out.
Does anyone know how to reset this so the 12v warning goes away? I rebooted but it came right back immediately.

Thanks
B.
There is a procedure to clear warnings on the Ohmmu site. Swapping back to the AtlasBX battery should clear recurring warnings unless it also needs replacing.

Just connect this device up to your 12v so you can monitor it.

12v-tesla-screenshot-of-edit-photo-google-photos-jpg.806299

Well ever since swapping back my stock Lead Acid battery all is well again. I did send another message to Sean telling him about my experience with V3 was actually worse with the alerts than V2 ever was. I probably should have just stuck with it but V3 led to the ugly error that says you need to have service replace it and that no updates will occur until you do so. I asked if he was having any success with V4 testing and it's been pretty quiet. No response from him so far (Been a few days). :(

Well ever since swapping back my stock Lead Acid battery all is well again. I did send another message to Sean telling him about my experience with V3 was actually worse with the alerts than V2 ever was. I probably should have just stuck with it but V3 led to the ugly error that says you need to have service replace it and that no updates will occur until you do so. I asked if he was having any success with V4 testing and it's been pretty quiet. No response from him so far (Been a few days). :(
I’m hoping he’s not getting ready/thinking about “throwing in the towel” so to speak on this. I know financially it’s got to be crushing him let alone the logistics of it all. I can’t see Elon/Tesla helping him out (re: his petition) let alone even caring. I sincerely hope Sean/Ohmmu figures this out and/or has the staying power to stick with it though I don’t even know where he goes from here as it appears V3 didn’t achieve what he’d hoped. I LOVED the V2 I was running. Got the V3 but held off on install because I can’t do the errors as I both need a realiable vehicle and am FSD Beta so can’t risk SW install uncertainty. Right now in a holding pattern running the OEM with the V3 on a Noico smart tender. The radio silence from Sean has me concerned. Any one else @Flybyglass have any luck with Sean or input? Best to all.

Ski

Last edited:
I’m hoping he’s not getting ready/thinking about “throwing in the towel” so to speak on this. I know financially it’s got to be crushing him let alone the logistics of it all. I can’t see Elon/Tesla helping him out (re: his petition) let alone even caring. I sincerely hope Sean/Ohmmu figures this out and/or has the staying power to stick with it though I don’t even know where he goes from here as it appears V3 didn’t achieve what he’d hoped. I LOVED the V2 I was running. Got the V3 but held off on install because I can’t do the errors as I both need a realiable vehicle and am FSD Beta so can’t risk SW install uncertainty. Right now in a holding pattern running the OEM with the V3 on a Noico smart tender. The radio silence from Sean has me concerned. Any one else @Flybyglass have any luck with Sean or input? Best to all.

Ski
Radio silent here too. It looks like they have been launching batteries for Kia, Hyundai, Genesis and a group 24 and group 31 batteries. I'm curious what the results have been with other than Ohmmu and AtlasBX. Either lead or Lion. Any maintenance messages? I see Antigravity saying something coming, EarthX is out there plus others have just gone basic 51R. I know the price is right for the AtlasBX its the reliability I question.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I know the price is right for the AtlasBX its the reliability I question.
The irony here is the problems you are seeing with aftermarket LFP batteries are caused by Tesla improving their 12V battery health monitoring.
Also, as you'll notice, nobody with aftermarket LFP is reporting the car stops working, despite the car determining the battery is super unhealthy. That's because modern Tesla firmware keeps the DC-DC online now if the battery is bad, so you can drive the car around with no 12V at all. The old days of a failed LA stranding you are over.

Radio silnt here too. It looks like they have been launching batteries for Kia, Hyundai, Genesis and a group 24 and group 31 batteries. I'm curious what the results have been with other than Ohmmu and AtlasBX. Either lead or Lion. Any maintenance messages? I see Antigravity saying something coming, EarthX is out there plus others have just gone basic 51R. I know the price is right for the AtlasBX its the reliability I question.

Ski
6 days since I emailed him and still nothing. I also dug up an older conversation I had with him before and responded directly to that one about 3 days ago thinking maybe that one would go directly to him since it's an existing conversation. :( Unless he's on vacation it's not looking good. Since it's unlikely Tesla is going to help him in this situation and if Sean can't come up with a solution where does that leave all of us? just SOL with a $440 paperweight basically?

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
6 days since I emailed him and still nothing. I also dug up an older conversation I had with him before and responded directly to that one about 3 days ago thinking maybe that one would go directly to him since it's an existing conversation. :( Unless he's on vacation it's not looking good. Since it's unlikely Tesla is going to help him in this situation and if Sean can't come up with a solution where does that leave all of us? just SOL with a $440 paperweight basically?
This is what I’m wondering. Though I’d love a working lithium.

Ski

Sean stopped replying quickly a few years ago, maybe late 2019. There is a e-commerce service wall in place too which further delays communication. We used to be able to email directly, even reach him via text or a simple phone call - not anymore.

Its too bad even a factory retrofit will never pan out because of the VC_Front, config changes, and likely many other changes that accompany the new 15Vs in the newest 3/Ys.

modern Tesla firmware keeps the DC-DC online now if the battery is bad, so you can drive the car around with no 12V at all. The old days of a failed LA stranding you are over.

Hi. Is there a source or bulletin that you can point me to that confirms your statement?

On another note, got a reply from Sean today after sending an email yesterday on my low voltage error alert saying they have a version that has been good for 3 weeks now so hopefully they'll be able to address this latest issue soon.

Hi. Is there a source or bulletin that you can point me to that confirms your statement?
I have no idea- I just know that's the way it behaves now when it detects a bad battery via my own observations of what happens when it thinks the LFP is bad. You could go look at all the SB's yourself now (they're all free on Tesla's site now as of a few weeks ago).

You can probably just poke around and see that nobody is saying they got stranded anymore as well, when it was common a while ago.

Reactions: android04
Yeah sorry, I left that part out. I was asking Sean about how things were going with the V4 battery and that was his response regarding the scaling up to a dozen comments.

I got this in email the other day.

View attachment 812101
@Dysan911
Appreciate the follow up! Yes, I received the same email just as you did. Hopefully he’s making good progress and agree it makes me a little more confident he didn’t totally throw in the towel on this.

Ski

Ski

Reactions: Flybyglass