Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longer term storage at 50% or 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Model Y LR. I am away for weeks and sometimes several months at a time, and the car is plugged in to 14-50 240V outlet in the garage. Is there any advantage to keeping the charge maximum at 50% vs at 90%? I read a couple places online 50% is better for the battery.

For long term storage leave the Tesla vehicle plugged in and set the battery maximum charging level to between 50% and 60%.

For short term storage of up to several weeks you could leave the Tesla Model Y unplugged, with battery state of charge at 70% or 80%. Turn off Sentry Mode and Smart Summon (a FSD feature). When parked this way the Tesla Model Y will lose 1 to 2 % of the battery charge per week.

Downside of leaving plugged in is there is a small risk of damage to the vehicle due to ground strike lightning.

Reactions: Doug1000
For long term storage leave the Tesla vehicle plugged in and set the battery maximum charging level to between 50% and 60%.

For short term storage of up to several weeks you could leave the Tesla Model Y unplugged, with battery state of charge at 70% or 80%. Turn off Sentry Mode and Smart Summon (a FSD feature). When parked this way the Tesla Model Y will lose 1 to 2 % of the battery charge per week.

Downside of leaving plugged in is there is a small risk of damage to the vehicle due to ground strike lightning.
Thanks very much. I have been keeping it at 50% when away for a month or more. Is there any advantage to keeping it at 60%? The reply below from gcell recommends this level.

Supposedly the lithium battery is least stressed when maintained at 60% state of charge. A battery that could only be used when maintained at or very close to a 60% state of charge would not be very useful so we do the best we can. Some can maintain the battery between 50% and 70% or 40% and 80%, even 30% and 90%.

In the end it doesn't really matter much because the battery will lose capacity over time as do all batteries. Many will sell their vehicle long before the battery has degraded to where it affects using the vehicle because of the desire to have the latest technology. Also, Bambi and friends may collide with your ride and then it won't matter.

Reactions: Doug1000