TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Longest Trip WITHOUT Seeing a Model S or Roadster?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by physicsfita, Aug 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. physicsfita

physicsfita Member

When I take my long road trips, I've gotten used to seeing some sort of Tesla (usually a Model S) every 1000 miles or so. I just got back a few days ago, taking a trip that started in Ann Arbor, MI, went down the entire length of I-94 through Chicago, Minneapolis, and on to Billings, MT, taking I-90 to I-15 to Salt Lake City. I then took I-84 through Boise, ending up in Portland, took I-5 up to Vancouver, stopping in Portland and Seattle. I took the Trans-Canada Highway to International Falls, MN, stopping in Calgary, Regina, and Winnipeg, before returning home via US-53, US-2, M-28, a bit more US-2, and then finally I-75 and US-23. Even stopping in three supercharger parking lots, I did not see a Tesla the entire trip of about 6500 miles!

Considering that a good chunk of this trip was along the supercharger highway, and I spent time in a lot of major cities, I'm wondering if this is some sort of oddball record in the modern Tesla era?

(From some forum posts, it does appear I was running about 30-60 minutes behind a Model S owner who was driving through WI at the time, but that was a close as it got!)

2. Torpedo Ted

Torpedo Ted Member

My longest trip without seeing a Model S is about 20 miles. My daily commute is total 30 miles (two lane road) and I usually see about 5-10 Model S's every day.
    Wait, it's actually 10 feet - my neighbor also has a Model S!

3. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

It's all about where you live. I have seen 1 Roadster and 3 Model S's ever in the wild! Not daily or weekly....ever. I also have an hour commute to work 5 days a week (55 miles).

4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

We recently drove from Dallas to Cape Canaveral and back and didn't see a single Tesla. We were quite surprised.

5. invisik

invisik Supporting Member

I drove from Minneapolis to Nashville this summer and only saw two at superchargers, none on the road.

-m

6. AbeFromin

AbeFromin Banned

i live in Northern Virginia, outside DC. seeing a Model S when i go out is still a rarity. i'm sure if i took a road trip to West Virginia, my odds wouldn't get any higher.

7. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

Well I'm heading from Vienna VA to Wheeling WV tomorrow, I'll let you know what I see. Straight shot to Somerset and then on to Wheeling.

8. Barry

Barry Active Member

Still a rarity in Colorado, too. Not including the Tesla road rally up Mt. Evans a few months ago, I've only seen 3 Teslas on the road, ever!

9. Clomer

Clomer Member

I took a roadtrip back in May from my home in Colorado Springs to Knoxville, TN. 1300 miles one direction. My route was Hwy 94 out of CS to highway 40 to I-70, overnight stay in Kansas City, MO with some relatives, on to St. Louis, then down I-64 to I-57 to I-24 to Nashville, then I-40 out to Knoxville. Reverse that for the way home.

I did not see a single Tesla the whole trip, and yes, I was watching for them. Probably didn't help that this was before the superchargers on I-70 east of Denver weren't up yet. I've only ever seen 2 Teslas in the wild; one was up in Denver a couple of months ago, the other was about 5 miles from home here in Colorado Springs yesterday.

10. DGM73

DGM73 Member

Well, aside of my own Model S, I've never ever seen any Tesla in my country (not counting pictures, as there are actually 14 Model S registered in the whole country).

Paraphrasing Elon, hope that changes... soon!!

11. tantantheman

tantantheman not part of the mod squad

I've seen a total of three in NJ. However, I just came back from a three day Cali trip and there were Teslas left and right.

12. caddieo

caddieo Member

1200 mile trip from NE Florida to Chicago last week. Did not see any Teslas until my 3rd day in Chicago. Probably because the route I take (with an ICE) has only 3 Superchargers at the southern end and none thereafter.