Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longetivity When Parked Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just FYI, when the car hits 20% battery it automatically shuts off all the power hungry stuff like sentry, cabin overheat, etc. So even if you forget, the car will save your bacon and you’ll always have more than enough power to get to the Grapevine supercharger right outside DFW.

Except you still have vampire drain. That doesn't go away.

Uh, maybe they like to be able to plan their lives and a half hour to charge is not remotly like a 5 minute stop for gas.

LOL - welcome to EV ownership, where some planning is required. If planning isn't for you, then an EV isn't for you.

Also, there's a 250KW Supercharger in Grapevine, TX literally less than 5 miles/10 minutes from DFW, so your "half hour" comment would have actually been more like 10-15 minutes, INCLUDING drive time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
LOL - welcome to EV ownership, where some planning is required. If planning isn't for you, then an EV isn't for you.

Also, there's a 250KW Supercharger in Grapevine, TX literally less than 5 miles/10 minutes from DFW, so your "half hour" comment would have actually been more like 10-15 minutes, INCLUDING drive time.

Please share that with GtiMart He is the one you need to convince. I'm well aware of the many issues of driving an EV. Perhaps you didn't read the thread very well.

Also you comments about 250 kW chargers is not remotely accurate.

• Funny
Please share that with GtiMart He is the one you need to convince. I'm well aware of the many issues of driving an EV. Perhaps you didn't read the thread very well.

Also you comments about 250 kW chargers is not remotely accurate.
Nope, I replied to you because it’s clearly you that needs the information, based on the attitude demonstrated in your body of posts.

The fact that you won’t acknowledge that a 10-minute 250 KW charging session would have sufficed to get the OP’s car home in this instance further illustrates your point of view.

• Love
OR the plan is totally viable even with sentry on if you accept that you need to stop and charge on your way or back, for only a few minutes. Everyone would have done that in an ICE car, stopping at a gas station at some point. I sometimes wonder why people don't think it's acceptable to stop and charge a little bit when you need it. That electricity is compatible with your car :)
I never want to get gas in my ICE car when coming back from a trip. I just want to get home to my family and will always fill up before a trip. I expect my EV car to be the same and if it is not will just sell it and go back to ICE until EV is ready to do the simple things.. :)

• Funny
I never want to get gas in my ICE car when coming back from a trip. I just want to get home to my family and will always fill up before a trip. I expect my EV car to be the same and if it is not will just sell it and go back to ICE until EV is ready to do the simple things.. :)
Oh cool - so you have an ICEV with Sentry Mode??
Which one is that??

Ah ok - what did I say about Sentry mode? Nothing…. Thanks for the useful post! :)

What I will say about Sentry mode is what is the point of having a feature like that if it drains the battery so much?

Sentry mode (which no other manufacturer offers) was the reason for the OP's issue, so suggesting that an EV (any EV) won't meet your "not stopping on your way home from the airport" criteria is disingenuous at best, but you knew that already...

Sentry mode is useful in circumstances where the car is potentially in danger of a break in - I'd argue that a fee-to-enter, gated airport parking lot is decidedly NOT one of those circumstances....

• Informative
What I will say about Sentry mode is what is the point of having a feature like that if it drains the battery so much?
First off, the cars didn't originally come with it. Owners were begging Tesla to add that feature, and they did! So what is the point? To respond to the desires of the users. THAT answers your question right there.

But further, people use it while they are at work. It is very useful there, and the amount of drain is irrelevant if you are going home that day. It isn't well suited to leaving your car for weeks at a time with that running though.

Reactions: GtiMart
@DWtsn there's a bunch of resources to help you fine tune your vehicle. As people have noted, you can shut off Sentry, Cabin Overheat Protection, Disabling Summons, and Disabling Mobile Connectivity (no app access) - if you intend on leaving the car parked for an extended period of time.

That said, the best way to get familiar with your car is to keep stats on your vehicle. I highly recommend installing Teslamate on your car, so you can observe your car's behavior while parked. Ultimately, you want your car to be "sleeping". Do not run the Tesla APP as that will wake up your car. Teslamate will allow you to check your car's stats without waking up the car.

For context in -2C temp with Sentry Off, my car has lost 0.2kwh over 12 hours (less than 1%). Extrapolating that out, I would think you should be able to last a week at the airport. Having the historical stats for reference can help you fine tune your driving/charging habits.

There's some useful information in this thread which I have contributed to regarding strange vampire drain : Battery Drain Overnight.

On the flip side I travel for work too but have been driving the ice how do I turn the daily charge setting I just want it to charge off peak and not have a time set to depart.

Nope, I replied to you because it’s clearly you that needs the information, based on the attitude demonstrated in your body of posts.

The fact that you won’t acknowledge that a 10-minute 250 KW charging session would have sufficed to get the OP’s car home in this instance further illustrates your point of view.

What exactly does the 10 minute charge get him? I also don't believe it would be 10 minutes including the drive. What does that leave for charging, 5 minutes? At low battery levels the charging rate is a LOT lower than 250 kW. 5 minutes might only get him 5 kWh.

What exactly does the 10 minute charge get him? I also don't believe it would be 10 minutes including the drive. What does that leave for charging, 5 minutes? At low battery levels the charging rate is a LOT lower than 250 kW. 5 minutes might only get him 5 kWh.
I said 10-15 minute trip (not the 1/2 hour stop you suggested), and that would be plenty for the OP’s drive home.

• Informative