Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longevity of Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any information on how many years Tesla will continue to support it's vehicles? If I buy a Model S I will likely want to keep the car for 10 to 14 years as the annual mileage will be somewhat low, and I wonder if I will be able to get support for that length of time.

There's no information out there that I'm aware of. Most Tesla cars have an eight year unlimited mile powertrain warranty, so you're probably safe assuming support for at least that long, and there's no reason to expect it to go away then.

There are already a couple hundred thousand cars out there, so even if Tesla somehow went away I'd expect to see a third party support network stepping up; we already have folks on the forum that have pulled both the mechanical and the firmware guts of the car apart and know exactly how they work.

• Informative
Reactions: Manzacoty
Is there any information on how many years Tesla will continue to support it's vehicles? If I buy a Model S I will likely want to keep the car for 10 to 14 years as the annual mileage will be somewhat low, and I wonder if I will be able to get support for that length of time.
let me consult the all knowing crystal ball, how could you could expect anyone to be able to have an answer to your question?

The real question is what form Tesla might be in at that time - Elon continues to take big bets (Solar City) which might pay, and might not. Is Tesla a massive independent in 10 years, is it part of VAG (they need to buy something to deliver on their continued ePromises) or has it gone under - nobody can possibly say. I think Saghost has the right perspective - IF there were no Tesla, there are enough vehicles for a very strong enthusiast market - much older and lower volume (today) ICE models continue due to such enthusiast support.

The real question is what form Tesla might be in at that time - Elon continues to take big bets (Solar City) which might pay, and might not. Is Tesla a massive independent in 10 years, is it part of VAG (they need to buy something to deliver on their continued ePromises) or has it gone under - nobody can possibly say. I think Saghost has the right perspective - IF there were no Tesla, there are enough vehicles for a very strong enthusiast market - much older and lower volume (today) ICE models continue due to such enthusiast support.
Unfortunately Tesla also STRONGLY discourages any form of enthusiast support... unlike any other auto maker that has ever existed.

I'm not overly worried Tesla will cease to exist, but if you are, that should worry you a LOT.