Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Longing for that Model X windshield. . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A while back I had an X as a loaner for about a week and a half. I wasn't particularly charmed by the awkward look… or the falcon doors… or the auto-opening and closing front doors… or the high riding stance…

The one thing about it that I adored was the "helicopter" style windshield that wraps up-and-over to become part of the roof. I want that so much. If the Model S could get a windshield like that, it would be perfect.

I mean, yes, it's already got an all glass roof, which is great if you are riding in the back. For the driver, though, there's still a big, fat crossbar blotting out most of the sky. That X windshield was so much better.

Not sure why I'm even posting this. I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest that the S ever could or would get that windshield. I guess I was just curious if this is something others have thought about, or if anyone else feels the same.

A while back I had an X as a loaner for about a week and a half. I wasn't particularly charmed by the awkward look… or the falcon doors… or the auto-opening and closing front doors… or the high riding stance…

The one thing about it that I adored was the "helicopter" style windshield that wraps up-and-over to become part of the roof. I want that so much. If the Model S could get a windshield like that, it would be perfect.

I mean, yes, it's already got an all glass roof, which is great if you are riding in the back. For the driver, though, there's still a big, fat crossbar blotting out most of the sky. That X windshield was so much better.

Not sure why I'm even posting this. I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest that the S ever could or would get that windshield. I guess I was just curious if this is something others have thought about, or if anyone else feels the same.
As an owner of an X I do agree that the windshield is probably my favorite feature. Being relatively tall I enjoy being able to sit at a stoplight without having to stoop down and bend forward just to see the traffic light. Every so often when I'm driving down the hill near my house I look slightly upward and take in the view of the hills in front of me.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
X is no longer a loaner here in Phoenix...but I had a Red X for a weekend. Everything about the car turned me off to my S. I love the auto doors, the falcon doors, not hitting my head getting in and out, higher height with the adjustable suspension, and of course the fantastic windshield (but I do keep the sunshade attached due to intense summer sun).

I picked it up in LA, a used 2016 P90D, and the drive to Phoenix was fantastic. Oh it did need, under warranty, stuts replaced, and this summer a new MCU. The car has the best ride...solid, quick, and comfortable.

• Love
Reactions: PrGrPa and P85_DA
I completely agree that the windshield in the X is a huge plus for it (pun intended!). I drive my S as my commuter and every time I get in the X the open view is just spectacular. I wish it were slightly less tinted at times so I could see out the upper portion better but really appreciate it when the sun is out.

I would love a version of the S with that style windshield and the automatic doors. They seem silly but really add a lot of enjoyment for me.

The X windshield sure is very good. That wide-open feeling and extra visibility is very nice. Though it did give me the feeling I was driving a truck it was such a big glass area.

something I found in my SO’s Model 3 is that as the driver I get a better view out of its glass roof than I do with my Model S. I have to crane my neck back to stare out of the glass roof on my S. I just need look up a little in the Model 3.

maybe I just have a weird seating position in the Model S?

something I found in my SO’s Model 3 is that as the driver I get a better view out of its glass roof than I do with my Model S. I have to crane my neck back to stare out of the glass roof on my S. I just need look up a little in the Model 3.

That's something else I was sort of curious about. I guess I need to visit the store and do some serious comparison. I've never spent any time in a 3.

I had an X and I hated that stupid windshield when I drove east in the morning and west in the evening especially with those silly tiny sun visors.

Gave the X to my wife and bought an S instead, not for the windshield alone, but also for a myriad of other reasons.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa