Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Look what I found (rattle fixed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a random rattle in the rear deck of my Model 3P that I picked up in April. I didn't bring it in because I didn't notice it until I already messed with the trim to update some internal lighting, so I made the assumption it was my fault for knocking something loose. Primarily something wiggling when I started/stopped, which made sense with the way the corrugation is oriented in the rear.

It would show up for a few days then go away as whatever it was was bumped in and out of whatever low-energy state it was in. Today it finally got annoying enough that I ripped up all the rear trim to lift the rear deck trim. Everything from the roofline rear passenger doors all the way back, and including the rear seat bolsters to be able to lift the rear deck mat. (everything locks together in order from the rear deck to the B-pillar).

Nope. It wasn't something I knocked loose. This was from the factory leaving a random bolt on the rear deck. Not checking before putting the mat on.
hidden_bolt_tm3p.png

Come on, Tesla! Sure, you're not perfect. Nobody is, but don't make it easy for the r/RealTesla crowd.

I'll give it a couple days to really make sure it's gone, then submit a service request of "Nobody has to service the car, but show QA and the Freemont factory what I found"

I call this a production/delivery issue.

--Carlos "rattlerattlerattle" V.

Last edited:
I had something like that in my 2022 X. I would take a left turn and you heard it rattle. Right turn no rattle. I took it into the SC and the tech and I went for a ride on his rattle test course (actually crappy road behind nearby stores). He heard and they fixed it. The service paper said something like "Test drove car. Heard rattle/rolling noise when turning left. Removed door. Found unattached screw. Verified no screws missing. Rattle fixed."

Reactions: theothertom