Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at a 2012 P85 tomorrow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8900 miles White
white int with suede
carbon fiber int spoiler
19 inch rims
solid roof
air suspension
no parcel shelf

3rd party so no Tesla info on car

How can I find out Tesla History or other options

anything to look for

thanks

Last edited:
8900 miles is really low for a 3 year old car. You would still have the remainder of the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the drivetrain, right ? That would cover the big things that might fail.

It seems like a visit to a local service center could tell you what is still covered or not on warranty.

I have the pano roof on my car and I could live without the complexity that it adds to the car, but that is a personal preference on my part.

8900 miles White
white int with suede
carbon fiber int spoiler
19 inch rims
solid roof
air suspension
no parcel shelf

3rd party so no Tesla info on car

How can I find out Tesla History or other options

anything to look for

thanks
Might have an A battery pack. I believe these charge slightly lower rate at supercharger. I don't know the VIN number or date of change to the B back. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying the car but if your planning a lot of long trips it might stop you

Might have an A battery pack. I believe these charge slightly lower rate at supercharger. I don't know the VIN number or date of change to the B back. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying the car but if your planning a lot of long trips it might stop you
There's not a date of change. The only way to tell is look at part number by turning wheels hard right and looking in passenger wheel well for sticker on battery pack. I have A pack and is no different except supercharging peaks at 90 kW max. Makes for slightly longer supercharge times - maybe 5 to 15 min depending how much you are charging.

I recommend that you have the current owner add the additional 4 year warranty to the car as a condition of purchase. I doubt you'd be happy with the bills in case you have out of warranty repairs...

- - - Updated - - -

I bought a 2012 used last year; the best way to know what the car has been through is to take the VIN to a service center. They can tell you what work has been done with the car as well as its options.

Could you confirm the Service Center shared the service history of the car with you? If true this would be a welcome change in their policy...

I will check on battery

It is on a private lot

Will get the VIN and see

Just concerned about the no Tesla info...

I asked about getting info from previous owner

Which they do not have

But i am leaving now to check it out....

The color of the interior they say is grey

will report back

car fax is clean but says dealer maintenence

car is clean and solid

but rear wheels have rust on the hubs

all wheels have a little curb rash

they said they would take to Tesla service which is near them and let me know

but from what it looks like it has not been yet since it has 8700 miles

they got it from auction

I have the Vin and waiting to hear back from them regarding what Tesla says

I tried to move the front tires out and in to look under for the battery tag and could not find one anywhere

so i failed

If it is a 2012, it will have an A type battery unless the battery has been replaced. Mine was delivered December 22, 2012 and my VIN # is in the mid 2000s. Unless it is a signature model, it mostly likely was delivered around the same time. With that low mileage you will have warranty coverage until 4 years from delivery, most likely December 2016. That will give you plenty of time to get any warranty items fixed. The main known difference on the A type batteries is a slower rate of supercharging. There are many factors that affect supercharging rate. I recall that Tesla said the A type batteries only take 4 minutes longer to charge. The 2012 s are great cars, but the fit and finish may not be as good and they do not have newer features like folding mirrors, and proximity sensors.

car fax is clean but says dealer maintenence

car is clean and solid

but rear wheels have rust on the hubs

all wheels have a little curb rash

they said they would take to Tesla service which is near them and let me know

but from what it looks like it has not been yet since it has 8700 miles

they got it from auction

I have the Vin and waiting to hear back from them regarding what Tesla says

I tried to move the front tires out and in to look under for the battery tag and could not find one anywhere

so i failed
no service is required. No lubrication or oil etc. there was a titanium plate added to the bottom of battery pack, make sure it was done or tesla will do for you. Surprised by rust since all aluminum. Suspect you are seeing some on disc brakes, not a big deal

2962 on the Vin

Had a maintenance warning flashing regarding the tire pressure sensor

they added the P85 emblem to the back.....pictures did not have it....

Fit and finish seamed really nice compared to all the others used Teslas i have driven

I am in the process of negotiating a deal

But waiting to hear back from what they say from Tesla

the p85 sure is a different animal compared to the regular 85

while on my test drive we stopped at the Space X facility and charged at the Tesla Superchargers in the back

What a cool site, they have a waiting room and covered stalls for the cars and restrooms....

So far my best Tesla experience

2962 on the Vin

Had a maintenance warning flashing regarding the tire pressure sensor

they added the P85 emblem to the back.....pictures did not have it....

Fit and finish seamed really nice compared to all the others used Teslas i have driven

I am in the process of negotiating a deal

But waiting to hear back from what they say from Tesla

the p85 sure is a different animal compared to the regular 85

while on my test drive we stopped at the Space X facility and charged at the Tesla Superchargers in the back

What a cool site, they have a waiting room and covered stalls for the cars and restrooms....

So far my best Tesla experience
Badges didn't come till later. I left my vin car 52XX without the badge. You can tell the version by clicking on the T in the touch screen if unsure. You should get a very large discount since the CPO site cars come with extended warranty

I thought there was other ways to check versions or options
I did see toys listed on the screen that was not in the description
I really liked the suspension option For me setting it to high when getting out is awesome...
and when I get to work having the gps function of remembering to raise will be cool also...if it does what it says
but I was a fan of Red till i drove the white with light colored interior, stays cool and the seat fit me like a glove
didnt know it had lumbar adjustment till half way through my drive when I started fooling around with it..then bamm.. I'm really comfotrable
I have a torn calf and blood clot in my leg..and the seat applies no pressure to my thigh area causing no discomfort at all...i have 4 cars right now and they all have issues with my current condition. A major plus....I have sat in the Next Gen seats while on a test drive but this seat was the best...to each his own i guess.
Didnt check but does this seat have the secret pocket in front?
Just wonder why the car went to auction...kind of worries me...

1) Seat does have the secret pocket
2) There is also a seat modification Tesla service center can do to soften up middle bottom of seat... so you sit a bit lower and brings side bolsters more into play. However if this is working for you, suggest you leave it!
3) Auction does not always mean bad things. Trade-in cars often go to auction. However, it would be wise to have thorough inspection by service center prior to purchase... even if they charge you for that.

I tried to move the front tires out and in to look under for the battery tag and could not find one anywhere so i failed

Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, then look behind the right wheel at the battery pack. If the battery label is on the battery, that is where you will find it. A-packs do charge a little slower at Superchargers, but as others have said the worst case starting at near 0% SoC is only 5 or so minutes longer. A-packs have a max charging power of 90 kW vs later 85kWh batteries that can charge at 120 kW. However, the "taper" kicks in pretty soon and the advantage is lost once the "taper" is less than 90 kW.

If it is a 2012, it will have an A type battery unless the battery has been replaced. Mine was delivered December 22, 2012 and my VIN # is in the mid 2000s. Unless it is a signature model, it mostly likely was delivered around the same time. With that low mileage you will have warranty coverage until 4 years from delivery, most likely December 2016. That will give you plenty of time to get any warranty items fixed. The main known difference on the A type batteries is a slower rate of supercharging. There are many factors that affect supercharging rate. I recall that Tesla said the A type batteries only take 4 minutes longer to charge. The 2012 s are great cars, but the fit and finish may not be as good and they do not have newer features like folding mirrors, and proximity sensors.

Later models also have the (+) version suspension as standard equipment ?