Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at a 2017 Model S P100D vs 2020 Model S Performance Raven

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks.

Newbie here. Been lurking for quite a while and have decided I'm going to be selling my Porsche 911 for a Tesla Model S.

I want the fastest model S available so I was looking at the P100D's. On the used market I'm seeing some P100D's in the $100K range. One in particular is listed for sale at $103K and has an original build sheet of $215K Cdn.

When I go to the Tesla site I'm seeing that a 2020 "Raven" with full self driving and 21 inch wheels tops out at $155K.

I have 2 questions.

1) Has the price of the model S dropped that much in 3 years or is some of the features available in 2017 no longer available?

2) I understand the 2020 Raven upgrade includes an upgraded powertrain and air suspension. Is there any other changes from a late model P100D?

Thanks in advance !

@Bulletproofas Hello fellow Oakville resident!
  1. Are you specifically looking at a late model used Model S or brand new? If your budget permits, Tesla has demos for sale for around $125K which is a decent difference from brand new.
  2. Yes, the price of Model S's have dropped significantly in the years since 2012 when they were first introduced as 2013 cars
  3. You're on point regarding the main difference between a late 2018 Model S (made after April 2018 I think - you don't want to get prior to this as the Media Control Unit is MCU1 as opposed to MCU2 for the newer cars) and the current Raven Model S. (the front motor, increased battery range, and dynamic air suspension). There are other changes, but not as significant
I'm sure you've done your research regarding Tesla's in general, so you're prepared for the fact that going from a Porsche to a Tesla means that you will trade some aspects of a car for others - for example the quality of the fit/finish of a Porsche is higher than a Tesla. I will leave it at that as I'm sure you will get a ton more replies telling you to avoid a Tesla at all costs. Like most automotive forums you will get more folks with bad experiences vs those of us that have had a good experience voicing their very valid opinions/evidence etc.

I have had a very good experience with mine and the Oakville Service Center (which will very likely be the same center you use since you're also an Oakville resident) has always been responsive and addressed any issues I've had. I've had one so far since I got my car, but have had a couple of interactions with the mobile Techs (Tesla "Ranger") and the service has always been prompt, very communicative and professional.

Last edited:
@Bulletproofas Hello fellow Oakville resident!
  1. Are you specifically looking at a late model used Model S or brand new? If your budget permits, Tesla has demos for sale for around $125K which is a decent difference from brand new.
  2. Yes, the price of Model S's have dropped significantly in the years since 2012 when they were first introduced as 2013 cars
  3. You're on point regarding the main difference between a late 2018 Model S (made after April 2018 I think - you don't want to get prior to this as the Media Control Unit is MCU1 as opposed to MCU2 for the newer cars) and the current Raven Model S. (the front motor, increased battery range, and dynamic air suspension). There are other changes, but not as significant
I'm sure you've done your research regarding Tesla's in general, so you're prepared for the fact that going from a Porsche to a Tesla means that you will trade some aspects of a car for others - for example the quality of the fit/finish of a Porsche is higher than a Tesla. I will leave it at that as I'm sure you will get a ton more replies telling you to avoid a Tesla at all costs. Like most automotive forums you will get more folks with bad experiences vs those of us that have had a good experience voicing their very valid opinions/evidence etc.

I have had a very good experience with mine and the Oakville Service Center (which will very likely be the same center you use since you're also an Oakville resident) has always been responsive and addressed any issues I've had. I've had one so far since I got my car, but have had a couple of interactions with the mobile Techs (Tesla "Ranger") and the service has always been prompt, very communicative and professional.
Thanks, and yes I have been to the Oakville Tesla and they seem very helpful.

The more I ponder this I think I should concentrate on the 2019 and newer Raven models

The Raven+ package is a significant upgrade. The computer is faster, the suspension smoother and better handling, the range is longer, the charging is faster and Ludicris mode is standard now with the Performance version.
Also get premium interior, sound and the amazingly titled Cheetah Stance.