TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

looking at a used Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by jimtelsa, May 25, 2014.

1. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

First off...I want a Models S

I want to try and save some money versus new

I have found two used 2013

Both 85w

one is 10,000 more then the other...it has the tech package and 8 years of pre paid service

the other no tech package... or service

both have the same mileage

i have read posts on pros and cons of the tech package

but i wanted to know what you all think

can you add options at a later date like the tech package

what would the cons be to getting the car without the tech package

I drive 37 miles in my commute daily and take extended trips monthly to vegas and San Diego

And want to do a cross country trip without gas before my time is up.....thus the 85 kw model

The other negative is the car with the service is being sold my a broker and not the orig owner so I dont know if the plan is transferable

looking forward to your input

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

For 10K, get the one with the tech package.

For what Tesla would charge doing any kind of retrofit (doubting they would anyhow), you'd be better off starting with tech and full service.

No brainer in my book.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Absolutely get the one with a tech package. Like Steve says, "It's a no-brainer".

4. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

is the service transferable...i read somewhere that if I buy through a broker and not the orig owner its not....

Also noticed on the one that has the tech package the headlights are yellow...compared to the DRL....is that normal...I thought that with the tech package your got an upgraded headlamp assembly

the service is for 8 years

price is now 16 k different

67k versus 83k with tech

its a tough call regarding money....

5. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

The tech package is a must, IMO.

6. Electric700

Electric700 Member

67k does sound like a good deal, especially for an 85. My advice is for you to try the car out and see if you can be satisfied without the tech features. Definitely do a test drive and make sure it checks out completely.

7. youlikeadajuice

#7 youlikeadajuice, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
    One thing you may want to check on is what exactly the tech package includes on those specific 2013 models...I know what is and is not included with the tech package has changed several times since the initial release of the car and may be different than what the website currently lists. This goes for the non tech car too. My car is non tech but includes LED DRLs, lighted door handles, auto dimming side mirrors and interior premium lighting which are all tech/separate features now I believe. I also have air suspension which requires tech on new cars. The only thing I missed at the time was navigation, but I wasn't going to pay $3500 just for that...my phone Nav works just fine.

8. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

it has the lighted handles led drls and ambient lighting but no nav ..thats why he didnt get the tech package
    dont know if it has the homelink

but did find it has a lien on the loan....looking into that now

9. MajesticSound

MajesticSound Up is LOUDER

I didn't originally have the tech package but glad I added it before the final order. Love the presenting door handles and nav in the dash

10. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

The tech package makes the car a viable Premium automobile.
    Just too many cool features.

You might check with Tesla to confirm if the 8 year pre-paid service is transferable.

Good luck with your decision, or maybe wait until a better deal crosses your become available.

11. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I've bought two Model S's now. The pre-paid service stays with the car, not the owner.
    After you prove to ownership that you bought the used MS, they will update your My Tesla profile for the existing car. And if it has the service, it will then show up under your My Tesla profile.
    Again, I say the pre-paid service stays with the car. Passes from owner to owner to owner - stays with the car.

12. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

Btw you can add the navigation , It's $1k through your SC and it's all software.

13. loganss

loganss Spaceman

Ditto what youlikeadajuice said. I've got a 2013 and all i wanted from tech was nav but price too steep for just that.

This is the first I'm hearing about this. Did you get that done or hear it direct from Tesla management?

14. KJD

KJD Member

I see nothing in the tech package worth 16 grand. Spend your money on something worthwhile.

15. youlikeadajuice

I'm also curious about this...did you have this done? Hadn't heard of this before.

16. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

Yes I had it done , it's all software as all the other plumbing is already there

17. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

At today's used prices, I always wonder who would buy such things?

While the prepaid service costs X ($3800?), it really isn't worth X to a value shopper IMO.

Buy a new 85 with just the tech package. At $75k after tax incentive, it seems like the best deal.

18. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

Well after weighing in both sides...I reached an agreement to purchase the Model S without the Tech package
    It really has everything I need
    I plan on changing the 19 inch Rims out for those new aftermarket 19 inch rims in the 21 inch style offered in the classified section
    and with that look forward to driving the car back from the state of Washington to Southern California
    I spoke with Tesla on how to switch everything over from old owner to new owner
    I plan on stoping at the factory since its on the way....and using superchargers and not gas pumps.....im so stoked
    Tesla says no to the software add on for getting Nav for 1k...i also called my local service center ..they have not heard of it....
    for pre paid service....after its switched over to the new owner there is a 100.0 service charge to activate this on the new owners account
    new owners account takes 1 week after all papers are sent in to Tesla to switch over and be able to use the ap

I appreciated all the input...it made me look at everything from all angles and i believe I have all I need and made the best decision for me to get in a Tesla
    from a money perspective as well as getting most if not all the options I need

Again thanks to all...Im on cloud Tesla.....Im an owner....woo hoo..show me the fob...

19. karmamule

karmamule Member

Congrats Jim, I'm very excited for you! I hope you have many long years of joyful driving, and look forward to hearing your experiences.

20. sablesands

sablesands Member

Hi guys this is Peter in New Zealand with some questions pertaining specifically to someone whom purchased of a second hand Model 'S' from someone in Texas and had it exported to Germany. The vehicle has some 'panel damage' to the passenger side but otherwise sound !

My understanding from talking to him in Germany is that Tesla Motors (has big reservations) to support the vehicle locally in Germany and to be diplomatic made life a bit complicated to get it repaired.

Tesla are currently not "willing" to support the USA model S versions in Europe. The EU model S is in some facets is a different car ... The Tesla guys in USA had shut down the battery pack for security reasons, and to unlock it will require a code from them.

Does anyone have some ideas how his problem within Germany can be solved without major cost and what is a similar situation in the USA. Can a Tesla be purchased in any USA state and then moved to any other state and still receive all the standard service requirements without any hearteache

Regards, Peter