Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at Model X 75D - Syd-New range question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X and Model S energy usage isn't comparable. The Model X is the equivalent of a 1960's Cadillac gas guzzler. Economical it is not.
I have both Model X and Model S P100D's, both are 2017 models. My Model X long term average over 65,000km's
is 265 wh/km.
The X has 22" wheels, my daily commute is 78kms of mainly 80kmh-100kmh open road driving with not much stop/start. So good conditions for economy. I can get energy usage to 190 wh/km if the run is in the middle of the night with zero traffic and I really try hard to minimise energy usage.

When I use the X in stop/start inner suburban drives the usage is never under 320wh/km and more like 350wh/km.

So the type of driving you do will massively effect the real world economy you experience. A Model X is never going to be anywhere near as good as an S or a Model 3. It's a huge heavy car. I put my cars on my race scales for amusement one day. The Model X was 2660kg and the Model S was 2250kg. These are seriously heavy cars! That costs economy big time.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp and Hovean
224 for me

Very disappointed in the sales staff at Tesla when I ordered my X, Told me that 400km can be achieved going speed limits.
What a crock of $*** that was.

Yep, we're lucky if we get 260km's on a 100% charge...that's pretty pathetic if you ask me....also my wife has noticed that using a super charger is way slower than it used to be (even going from 50-60km's - 90%) we only get a low km's per hour compared to when we first got the car...we've hardly used superchargers but it's obviously much slower than it used to be....

20200621_184145.jpg
20200626_202409.jpg
20200621_184145.jpg
Yep, we're lucky if we get 260km's on a 100% charge...that's pretty pathetic if you ask me....also my wife has noticed that using a super charger is way slower than it used to be (even going from 50-60km's - 90%) we only get a low km's per hour compared to when we first got the car...we've hardly used superchargers but it's obviously much slower than it used to be....

I've noticed the charge rate gets throttled back pretty quickly if you start to use the Superchargers regularly. When the only base was in Richmond I never used them unless I had to visit the dealership, a rare occurrence. When the opened the Moonee Ponds chargers it became convenient. For 8mths of the year I charge off solar so didn't bother. In winter I leave the solar for the house and use the Superchargers when I'm in the area. Charge rate on the Model X was 350km/hr plus initially. After a few weeks or so of visits it's wound back to 139km/h with no other cars in the other charger bays. My Model S rarely gets Supercharged because the wife essentially can't be bothered. I charged it last weekend and sure enough, it is charging at 330km/h with 2 other cars charging in the other bays.

Obviously Tesla is reducing the charge rates if the car sees the Superchargers regularly. I wonder why. Actively discouraging overuse? Battery conservation?

View attachment 557356 View attachment 557357 View attachment 557356

I've noticed the charge rate gets throttled back pretty quickly if you start to use the Superchargers regularly. When the only base was in Richmond I never used them unless I had to visit the dealership, a rare occurrence. When the opened the Moonee Ponds chargers it became convenient. For 8mths of the year I charge off solar so didn't bother. In winter I leave the solar for the house and use the Superchargers when I'm in the area. Charge rate on the Model X was 350km/hr plus initially. After a few weeks or so of visits it's wound back to 139km/h with no other cars in the other charger bays. My Model S rarely gets Supercharged because the wife essentially can't be bothered. I charged it last weekend and sure enough, it is charging at 330km/h with 2 other cars charging in the other bays.

Obviously Tesla is reducing the charge rates if the car sees the Superchargers regularly. I wonder why. Actively discouraging overuse? Battery conservation?

Tesla reduced supercharging speeds on early cars with a software update about a year ago, no announcement, no explanation but many believe it's Tesla being extra cautious after a model S 85 fire in China, better to charge a bit slower than have a major issue.

View attachment 557356 View attachment 557357 View attachment 557356

Very interesting....however our X is near on two years old and would have only SuperCharged (at most) 20 tops....in the last 4 weeks 2 times....

Very interesting. Both my P100D's are 2017 models. The X has 65,000kms and the S has 28,400kms. So both well within a year of each other but the X charges at 135km/h and the S at 335 km/h.

Doesn't add up to me.

when charging put the car in percentage, try to get a phone screenshot just as each car clicks over to 30%, 40% and so on, that way you can get a reasonable accurate comparison (taking into account battery temp is a factor) Before the update last July my 85 pack was getting 75kw at 50% SOC, after the update it was getting 60kw at 50% SOC, same outside temp and conditions.

when charging put the car in percentage, try to get a phone screenshot just as each car clicks over to 30%, 40% and so on, that way you can get a reasonable accurate comparison (taking into account battery temp is a factor) Before the update last July my 85 pack was getting 75kw at 50% SOC, after the update it was getting 60kw at 50% SOC, same outside temp and conditions.

Will do over the next few weeks.
I'll be charging the S a bit more too and will be interesred ro see if it drops off as my X did.