Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at ROI calcs for Powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have 2 powerwalls and right now they are charging to 100% by Noon/1 o'clock. SRP is on the winter schedule of 5-9am/pm being peak charging .10/Kw. Off peak is .08/Kw. So we are using ZERO from the grid and putting 4-5Kw BACK once the PWs charge. With their Mandatory Service fee of $32 our Nov bill was $32!! Where normally without the solar, we would have had a $85 bill.

The problem is you paid a lot of money for those powerwalls. Based on your configuration, when do you hit breakeven for the cost of the PW's and gateway?

Also, SRP prices seem a fraction of what we pay in PGE land. I'm envious!

Reactions: h2ofun
If you don't put any financial value on having power during a grid outage, you will likely never think there is any ROI for Powerwalls.

However, if you want to pay nothing to the Utility without Net Metering (like the new Net Billing Tariff), you could likely make a case for Powerwalls by using a smaller solar system than you would otherwise need. That only works when you consider how much the CPUC kneecapped solar without storage in the Net Billing Tariff (ie. NEM 3).

If you don't put any financial value on having power during a grid outage, you will likely never think there is any ROI for Powerwalls.

However, if you want to pay nothing to the Utility without Net Metering (like the new Net Billing Tariff), you could likely make a case for Powerwalls by using a smaller solar system than you would otherwise need. That only works when you consider how much the CPUC kneecapped solar without storage in the Net Billing Tariff (ie. NEM 3).
Since getting our system, the neighborhood has lost power 3 times. I have a Saltwater Reef Aquarium with $10k of corals and fish, so it has definitely paid for itself.

Reactions: jboy210
Generator would have worked fine also
If it helps, think of aquarium pumps and aerators like air for a diver; seconds count. Or an ICU patient. Aquariums need basically continuous pumping and aeration/filtering to keep the animals alive and healthy. Small disruptions have a way of becoming enormous events as one thing leads to another.

All the best,

BG

If it helps, think of aquarium pumps and aerators like air for a diver; seconds count. Or an ICU patient. Aquariums need basically continuous pumping and aeration/filtering to keep the animals alive and healthy. Small disruptions have a way of becoming enormous events as one thing leads to another.

All the best,

BG

In that case, I would definitely use a computer style UPS to protect that system. Given some of the recent stories about PW's not kicking in properly during an outage, I don't think I would depend on them for such a critical task when a UPS can give you much more assurance.

I got a large (6000W) APC UPS for a great price off a local Craigslist ad. It keeps the network and servers at my house running, along with security cameras etc.. before the generator starts and kicks in. It can also run everything for a couple hours on battery if there are issues with generator starting etc. (none so far!).

It's definitely a case of using the right tool for the job. Critical systems should have dedicated UPS, regardless of PW's or gensets. But given all the rainy weather and lousy solar output this month, I am glad I have a diesel generator and not PW's keeping us powered up.