Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at the used market for a Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right - we're going to look at an 85D hopefully later this week (dealer currently preparing it) - we've reserved it with a refundable deposit (someone else beat us to the one in Glasgow but this is an 85D as opposed to a 70D in Glasgow, and it's only 40 miles away instead of 280). It's red, March 2016 reg. (16) with the pano roof, winter pack, and 21 inch alloys. Not sure about other options. They say AP is enabled, but of course we'll check that for ourselves. £42K but no longer under the original Tesla 4year/50K miles warranty. Can't wait.

Had a look at a Model 3 (LHD) at the Tesla showroom in West Drayton today; not for us, sadly - I had completely overlooked the fact that it doesn't have a hatch, which is a deal breaker for us. I'm also not convinced by the dashboard minimalist design.

Reactions: IanMcL
There seem to be a lot of 2016 cars with the old-style front seats about. I really want next-gen seats! The car we're going to see... there are no interior photos available yet so I don't know which seats are fitted - so frustrating :D

Also now thinking of charging options to choose for home... more research!

Here is a good article about the seat variations: Watch Tesla Model S Seats Evolve Over Time

The Next-Gen seat hugs you better and looks nicer as well. The latest seats look similar but have height-adjustable head-rests.

Facelift cars don't have the oval faux 'grill' or 'nosecone' - just smooth bodywork. They also have full LED headlights, not just daylight LED running lights. Tbe older headlights have the circular projector lens for the HID (Xenon) lamp.

[cream seats] are probably cooler on hot sunny days than black

Only when you get in presumably? In which case don't overlook the pre-condition-from-phone ability. Getting into a car which is neither freezing cold, nor baking hot, is the 1st world's answer to an age old problem ... but it hasn't fixed my ability to remember to first up the APP I get up from the restaurant table :(

It's three days since reserving a used Tesla and the sales person indicated it had been in their preparation centre for 8 days already and they normally were done by ten (yesterday). Frustratingly, no news at all of the progress of the preparation and when we can expect to view it. Maybe there will be some news tomorrow - but it's quite frustrating! I have even been looking around at other deals but this one looks like it has the ideal mix of options and price... always hate being in a situation like this and being completely unable to do anything :D

IME if it needs any Bits it could be <Pick any amount of time>. A week, maybe two, to get something like a boot catch ... crazy, but typical of Tesla. They don't seem to have any idea when anything will arrive either, so will waste huge amounts of time telling you "Expecting parts tomorrow" ... every day ... Sorry, but that's how it is. Driving the car makes all that go away, but for that reason best to avoid bending it :)

Reactions: vitesse
IME if it needs any Bits it could be <Pick any amount of time>. A week, maybe two, to get something like a boot catch ... crazy, but typical of Tesla. They don't seem to have any idea when anything will arrive either, so will waste huge amounts of time telling you "Expecting parts tomorrow" ... every day ... Sorry, but that's how it is. Driving the car makes all that go away, but for that reason best to avoid bending it :)

Message understood

I'd just like some news. There is only one photo of the car, for a start. That looks fine and it's our preferred colour. It's clearly an ex-lease first registered 1st March 2016. Without any other info we're naturally desperate to see the car. It's at a big car supermarket outfit.

But yes, caring for our new purchase will be a to priority as condition will be more important than mileage for preserving residual value.

Back to the topic of the seats, it now seems that the 'old' style seat is the default option and you need to specify an upgraded seat. The upgrade for 2016 cars is the 'next-generation' seat, which is all-leather and possibly sourced from Recaro. It has deeper bolsters that extend higher to hug your lower ribs.

The standard seat in 2016 appears to look like the original seat but I think it might only be available in faux-leather with a fabric centre. The newest cars have the option of a new style seat that looks related to the next-gen seat but has power-adjustable headrests. From what I read, Tesla bought a seat manufacturer to take the seat design and manufacturing in-house.

I don't yet know which seats the car we reserved has fitted, apart from that they're black :D

I really want the next-gen seats but I can live without them on the car we have reserved as other options like the pano roof, DAB radio (could this be the hi-fidelity audio option?) and sub-zero pack, which we're told it has, are higher up the priority list.

It does have the grey 21-inch alloys, which we would probably keep but we could be tempted with an exchange deal with another owner for the standard 19-inch alloys.

I did hanker after the air suspension and we don't know if this car has it, but after reading feedback from others it seems this is nice to have but not essential. And it could be expensive to fix - though there are few reports of problems.

Really hoping the salespeople will call to say the car is ready to inspect ASAP!

• Funny
Reactions: NorthEastUk
t does have the grey 21-inch alloys, which we would probably keep but we could be tempted with an exchange deal with another owner for the standard 19-inch alloys.

I have a pair of spare mint 19" Cyclones with Tyres that have done about 8000 miles and look nearly new from a tread perspective. I'm not desperate to get rid of them, far from it so no sales pitch, however happy for them to go to a good home if there is a reasonable offer on them. I don't need any 21's as I already have some.

This site has the details of the various Tesla Model S rims.
The Tesla Model S Wheel Guide

• Helpful
Reactions: vitesse
I have a pair of spare mint 19" Cyclones with Tyres that have done about 8000 miles and look nearly new from a tread perspective. I'm not desperate to get rid of them, far from it so no sales pitch, however happy for them to go to a good home if there is a reasonable offer on them. I don't need any 21's as I already have some.

This site has the details of the various Tesla Model S rims.
The Tesla Model S Wheel Guide

Interesting. I think, assuming we get the car (which is far from certain, though the dealer is promising to provide more info later today at last) we'll see how it goes with the big wheels but our track record with scuffing rims and even being bent on a pot-hole is not good. And that's on a relatively modest tyre and rim.

Have you noticed any difference yourself?