Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at the used market for a Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you noticed any difference yourself?

I have the Arachnid 21" wheels, which are much lighter than the Turbines, so probably not totally representative. I'm also on Springs not Air Suspension.

However I've found the ride not that different TBH and equally handling pretty much the same. Which did surprise me given the very low profile you get with the 21"s in comparison.

I have hit a lot of pot holes this year around the country lanes where I live and they andthe tires have stood up to the challenge.

Range is slightly lower, but it's hard to tell whether that is more due to the degradation in the battery pack over the first 18months which I measure using TeslaFI, which overall has dropped 3% over the circa 30k miles I've driven since March 2017. However I think what you can take from that, is it hasn't been as much to be clearly noticeable and I drive a 700mile round trip at least once a month.

I have however had a couple of minor curb rash incidents and non on the 19". So I think it is safe to assume as you would expect they are a little more vulnerable to that. I'm very very careful with mine, but still in some very narrow exits from Multistories combined with the width of the Model S, the lack of visibility of the curb and the 21" have resulted in me having rims not as pristine as I would like.

It's fair to assume unless you never use public park parking and just drive from one private destination to another, you are likely to prang 21" rims at some point...

• Helpful
Reactions: vitesse
That's interesting too

I've heard range degradation is most apparent in the first 50K miles followed by a lower subsequent rate.

Could the degradation you are experiencing be affected by the recent winter?

I'm not optimistic about the vulnerability of the rims either! Rim protectors might give us some added peace of mind but they are probably only effective at parking speeds. I clipped a kerb exiting the multi storey at our local shopping centre just the other day. I probably wouldn't risk bringing a Tesla S there! We only actually go there once in a blue moon anyway.

On the subject of rim protectors.

I 'kerbed' my MS with 21" rims within a mile of picking it up. Not a good advert for my driving skills but it was on an extremely busy narrow thoroughfare.

I had the rims repaired and immediately had Alloygators fitted. Never ever regretted that decision. The width of the MS is something I'm still a bit wary of even though I've had it 2.5 years. I would suggest that you get some fitted £125-£150. You may need to replace annually dependent upon your mileage (increased risk) and driving experiences.

I have found a particular problem when parking in a restricted parking length where the border lines are sometimes a little narrow so scuffing against the kerb at parking speed without protection would lead to damage to the rims.

Along with many others, I have no doubt that you will have no regrets about your choice of car. 2.5 years on and I'm still a bit like a kid with a new toy!

• Helpful
Could the degradation you are experiencing be affected by the recent winter?

Yes it just looks at charges and the projected ranges post charge, it does so in all weather, but as it's based on estimated ranges post charge there are lots of other factors in there too. However given the long term trend it does give a pretty smoothed out line of best fit.

FusionCharts.jpg

Having looked at this again and thinking about those 19" rims, maybe I swapped them out at around 9k to 10k. I can't really remember, but there is a little step down at that point...

Forgot to say that over the 30K miles I've driven almost all has been using superchargers. When I first started I was getting 245 miles maximum and now I'm getting 238-240. IMHO short trips and cold weather are the main cause of range reduction. But no matter what, nothing will take away that 'Tesla experience'

I bought a brand new Honda Prelude VTEC 2.2i back in 1996, and that until now has been by far the most expensive car I've ever purchased.

The 3 year old 85D we're hoping to buy is £42K and completely out of character for us. But we believe this is a once in a lifetime thing. I'm sure we'll enjoy it for many many reasons. I hear that Tesla owners are very friendly each other and we, as ordinary non-Tesla owners have found owners to be very friendly and enthusiastic about their pride and joys.

On the subject of rim protectors.

I 'kerbed' my MS with 21" rims within a mile of picking it up. Not a good advert for my driving skills but it was on an extremely busy narrow thoroughfare.

I had the rims repaired and immediately had Alloygators fitted. Never ever regretted that decision. The width of the MS is something I'm still a bit wary of even though I've had it 2.5 years. I would suggest that you get some fitted £125-£150. You may need to replace annually dependent upon your mileage (increased risk) and driving experiences.

I have found a particular problem when parking in a restricted parking length where the border lines are sometimes a little narrow so scuffing against the kerb at parking speed without protection would lead to damage to the rims.

Along with many others, I have no doubt that you will have no regrets about your choice of car. 2.5 years on and I'm still a bit like a kid with a new toy!

Reactions: .jg.
Forgot to say that over the 30K miles I've driven almost all has been using superchargers. When I first started I was getting 245 miles maximum and now I'm getting 238-240. IMHO short trips and cold weather are the main cause of range reduction. But no matter what, nothing will take away that 'Tesla experience'

Totally agree on all points.

As per my comment on my 21" which are not the Turbines, but at one point there was a lot of talk of quite significant range loss due to the 21" wheels over the 19". I was just wondering whether my step down was in line with that event. I need to take a look at my diary etc to see when I went in for the wheel change.

Overall the loss doesn't change my long distance driving as I never leave it until 10% to get a charge at a Supercharger and always stay that little bit longer for an extra few electrons just in case.

It's an expensive experience though. I've got a Model S and we are swapping out our Ranger Rover and can't buy anything now that isn't a Tesla. It would be like going back to the dark ages. So Model X Performance on the way... ouch.

• Funny
I realise colour accuracy is hit and miss with what looks like a smartphone snap combined with the Interweb, but this is one of the shots supplied by the dealer of the car in the preparation centre.

Am I right that there is only (has only been) one red colour for Teslas; which I think is Red Multicoat? I ask this becase we happened to see a red Model S today and it looked more on the orangey end of the spectrum to this.

Attachments

• BV16HGK (4).jpeg
    BV16HGK (4).jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 61
Am I right that there is only (has only been) one red colour for Teslas; which I think is Red Multicoat?

Almost, for the UK. In other markets, there was "Signature Red" as a limited-run option for people who had put down a higher value deposit to reserve 'signature' cars (ie. the first off the line). By the time RHD production started, Signature Red had been and gone, and Tesla didn't intend to offer it for UK customers. But I think one or two UK customers kicked up a fuss that their deposit money was as good as a US customer (or better, as they'd been waiting longer) and insisted on the signature red, though I'm not 100% sure of this.

Signature red was a darker, burgundy sort of colour, and I'm fairly sure the car in your photo is just a badly-rendered image of the normal multi-coat red. The perception of MC red does vary in different lighting, probably explaining both the photo and your sighting of another car that looks different.

• Helpful
I read that the signature red is very impressive but from what I can see online, I prefer the more dynamic colour of the multi-coat red. I've seen a show Model 3 at the West Drayton Tesla showroom and I think that was a multi-coate red and that was gorgeous, so I'm happy.

I really hope the dealer gets its act together so we can see the car asap. If it's right we'll be driving home with it :D

Still no news on when we can see the car but I've made some progress confirming its options spec. The last six digits of the VIN number can be used to query the spec. With Tesla over the phone.

Doing this I learned that the car we've reserved DOES have next-gen seats. I also learned that the optional carbon fibre spoiler it has is a £2K extra . The interior is carbon fibre, which I believe basically means black. That's fine by me.

But there are a couple of uncertainties; the dealer told me it has the sub zero pack but it's not listed by Tesla UK for this car. Tesla also couldn't tell me if it has DAB though the dealer thinks it does. The ultra high fidelity pack is not listed, though Tesla say, apparently, DAB hardware may have been in the build anywayanyw later software-enabled. Can anyone concur? (March 2016 reg).

Could the heated steering be an option software enabled after purchase?

There is no air suspension but it was confirmed that AP1 has been enabled, so no surprise additional expense.

The colour is Red Multi-coat. Pano roof and 21" grey turbine alloys are fitted. I know it has the turning lights and some kind of interior upgrade (e.g. lighting).

Anyway, the waiting is still doing my head in!

What makes it worse is that they won't say anything about what is happening apart from that the time in prep is not that unusual. And it's not simply of a case of being able to say, forget it, I'll look elsewhere - the choice available is not great!

Got some family get togethers over Easter - would have been great to turn up with the new car :D