TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Looking for >2015 taillights

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by morrisdl, Aug 14, 2018.

1. morrisdl

morrisdl Member

Mine a full of dirt and dead bugs. Let me know if you have a set w/o cracks. Thanks!

2. Zextraterrestrial

what year is you car?
    I just put a new (old) 2013 left side on my '12
    Tech told me it wouldn't last and will crack like my other one did, but I already had bought a used one. Suuper shitty that Tesla doesn't replace these as part of the 'upgraded hardware' that was promised in 2012. clearly an engineering failure on the plastic composition
    Car is still great but lots of initial amazing engineering + bad chemical engineering/ environmental testing

my taillight was fine for years until IO went from the we(s)t coast of Nor Cal to dry heat in Arizona

3. morrisdl

morrisdl Member

Dec 2014 build. I thought there was a newer style tail light like the X and 3, but Im starting to think there is only the original design. Im sure these tail lights are all made by some 3rd party. I just missed the warranty cutoff of getting mine swapped for free. Interesting, I also just drove around Arizona too and problem was right after - bugs in AZ must like EVs ;-)

I should add my only issues is with the inner halves on the hatch.

4. Zextraterrestrial

Hmm Arizona...guess I'll keep my S away from there

The outer tail light on the left side for the older cars has the charge port door included on the light.
    Auto charge doors are part of the charge port. so there was a change there, not sure about the right side. The refresh S has different lights too which would be when the X came out I think

inner should be the same on the '12-'14 I think but I'd try and get the newest version you can based on the 12/13 potentially cracking but if yours did also not sure it matters too much