Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for 21 inch wheel/tire package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I'm waiting on my certified pre-owned 2014 P85, and looking for options to upgrade the wheels to 21 inches. The car comes with the standard 19 inch 5 rotor base wheels. Any suggestions on tire/wheel packages? Price obviously is a priority, but quality and looks matter.

Thanks!

Hey All,

I'm waiting on my certified pre-owned 2014 P85, and looking for options to upgrade the wheels to 21 inches. The car comes with the standard 19 inch 5 rotor base wheels. Any suggestions on tire/wheel packages? Price obviously is a priority, but quality and looks matter.

Thanks!
I'm selling my stock carbon 21s and I am in Virginia.

Thanks, Sorka. How did you like the wheels? Any scratches on them, or did they look new? That looks to be a really good deal. Where did you get the TPMS, nuts, valve stems, etc? Tesla or elsewhere?

Thanks for the feedback!

Sorka, do you know if the wheels are good for 2014 Model S P85? I saw that the size is the same, but wanted to get your thoughts.

They will work on any year Model S.

Note, these are not staggered, but you can buy just two of these and then find two of the 9" wide wheels elsewhere.

This seller particular seller above probably has 21 x 9 cores and can probably finish a set for you with the staggered setup.

If it were just me I'd stick with a square setup so you can rotate the tires....that is unless you really really have to have the extra grip in the rear.

Ok here you go.

2014 P85+ Staggered Michelin Pilot Super Sports with TPMS

PVD Black Chromed last summer for $220 per wheel - see process here

New TPMS Sensors installed by Tesla

Approved to be serviced by Tesla since they are stock 21 inch wheels with stock Michelin Tires (Tesla will not service aftermarket wheels)

Comes with 4 Tesla tire totes for winter storage - $40 each

2014 P85+ PVD Black Chrome Staggered1.jpg
2014 P85+ PVD Black Chrome Staggered2.jpg
2014 P85+ PVD Black Chrome Staggered3.jpg
2014 P85+ PVD Black Chrome Staggered2.jpg
2014 P85+ PVD Black Chrome Staggered3.jpg
2014 P85+ PVD Black Chrome Staggered4.jpg

Damn - they bred while I was uploading - I only have four wheels and tires, not 8!!! Only reason I am selling is i bought these and will get delivery later this summer. These wheels have received Hunter Road Force balancing and get TLC from the local Tysons Corner Tesla Service Center (Thanks to Michael and formerly Carlos and team) BTW this pics where snapped in my garage at night while still damp from breeding (I meant cleaning)... You have to see them outside next to my white Tesla!!!! Very Nice. I did the same treatment to the stock 19's and those are my winter wheels (which are on my black Telsa right now)

Last edited:
Price - $3500 non negotiable. If i don't sell them I don't really care - I'll just throw them in my garage storage until I sell the car.

Why PVD? I plan to do the same coating to the Carbon Fiber Rims as well.

Is PVD worth it?
YES, PVD is a super-hard coating that is by far the most durable coating available today. Superior quality that will out last any traditional finish.

How good is the corrosion protection?
Most of the industry standards are based on neutral salt spray (ASTM B117) or CASS (Copper-Accelerated Acetic Acid-Salt Spray)(ASTM-B368). Zirconium Nitride (ZrN) has shown to surpass 1200 hours of neutral salt spray and over 150 hours CASS on electroplated brass.

How do I clean my PVD?
PVD maintenance is simple. You can use a soft cloth with mild soap and water. Avoid all products designed to remove tarnish or rust, and contain hydrochloric, hydrofluoric, and/or phosphoric acid or caustic agents. Also bleach and scouring pads (such as Scotch Brite®).

How hard is the coating?
The lifetime Brass finish is Zirconium Nitride (ZrN) and has a hardness of 2800 Vickers or HRc-80. (A Diamond has a hardness of 10,000 Vickers, Aluminum Oxide has a hardness of about 2000 Vickers - this stuff is tough)

Last edited:
I use 19 inch squares in the winter and 21 inch staggered in the summer. Helps with the longevity and protects the larger rims from potholes in the winter/early spring. Your mileage sounds about right - rears go fast.. get them at Costco for about $300 - plus you can't beat their road hazard warranty.