Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a Big Island (Kona) Electrician

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -

I’m in the process of buying a second home on the Big Island (Kailua-Kona). I’m hoping to bring one of my cars to the island.

Unfortunately, the house under which I’m under contract to buy has only a 100 amp panel (but it does have some owned bet metered solar panels). I’ll need an electrician to upgrade that to a 200 amp panel and to run a 240V for the charging station in the garage.

Can anyone recommend an electrician in the Kona area? I’ll need the permits pulled for all this fun work so I want to go with a licensed electrician.

Thanks all. If this deal closes I’m sure I’ll have many more questions about bringing a car to the island.

I’m looking forward to getting to know the Hawaii EV community!

Hi all -

I’m in the process of buying a second home on the Big Island (Kailua-Kona). I’m hoping to bring one of my cars to the island.

Unfortunately, the house under which I’m under contract to buy has only a 100 amp panel (but it does have some owned bet metered solar panels). I’ll need an electrician to upgrade that to a 200 amp panel and to run a 240V for the charging station in the garage.

Can anyone recommend an electrician in the Kona area? I’ll need the permits pulled for all this fun work so I want to go with a licensed electrician.

Thanks all. If this deal closes I’m sure I’ll have many more questions about bringing a car to the island.

I’m looking forward to getting to know the Hawaii EV community!

You should also check out the Big Island EV association https://www.bigislandev.org/. They’re a great resource.

• Helpful
Reactions: shrink
Well, I’ve been at the newly purchased house in Kona for a little over week now. One electrical contractor blew me off - never showed up for a quote and never responded to follow up emails. Another company provided a rough estimate of $4000 to upgrade service to 200 amp and then another $1000 to run the power to a charging station - and a 3-month wait time for all the permitting and HELCO processing.

Add in shipping costs and it looks like it’ll cost me $6500 to bring a Tesla to Kona. That’ll unfortunately have to wait amidst other new house expenses.

If anyone else can recommend an electrician in Kona, please let me know. Would really love to get another quote on this.

Well, I’ve been at the newly purchased house in Kona for a little over week now. One electrical contractor blew me off - never showed up for a quote and never responded to follow up emails. Another company provided a rough estimate of $4000 to upgrade service to 200 amp and then another $1000 to run the power to a charging station - and a 3-month wait time for all the permitting and HELCO processing.

Welcome to Hawaii! I love Hawaii but trying to get anything done there is worse than pulling teeth. It's a good place to relax, but not such a good place if you want to schedule work. Especially time-sensitive work. It will get done when it gets done.

Welcome to Hawaii! I love Hawaii but trying to get anything done there is worse than pulling teeth. It's a good place to relax, but not such a good place if you want to schedule work. Especially time-sensitive work. It will get done when it gets done.

When you say Hawaii are you referring to the State of Hawaii or the Big Island? If you are referring to the State of Hawaii it is difficult to generalize like that. The availability of services is much different in Honolulu than it is in Kona, where the OP is posting about.

When you say Hawaii are you referring to the State of Hawaii or the Big Island? If you are referring to the State of Hawaii it is difficult to generalize like that. The availability of services is much different in Honolulu than it is in Kona, where the OP is posting about.

I'm sure it's different in the big city. But I've experienced a lack of commitment and follow through in Kona and on Kauai. I think it has to do with the laid back weather and perhaps some cultural influences as amplified by the laid back weather. Fishing and surfing is more fun than doing electrical work and getting permits (another sore spot).

Short vent and update on this issue. I found a company in Kona that could do the 200 amp panel upgrade and run the 240V line to the garage for a reasonable price. Was told with permitting it would take about 2 months.

Got a call yesterday from the contractor and was told that the permits they've been filing keep getting rejected because the county website does not yet list my wife and I as the owners of the house. We closed on 5/10/2019.

I asked the contractor to submit again with a copy of our warranty deed. I'll have to follow up with the county as well.

This is frustrating.