TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Looking for a carbon fiber top & sports alloy wheels / rims

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by Mobility, May 14, 2014.

1. Mobility

Mobility Member

Just bought 2011 Roadster & would like to get a carbon fiber hardtop. The roadster came with sport black alloy wheels. Would like to change them to the "chrome-looking" steel alloy wheels. Am attaching a picture for reference. I live in Los Angeles, CA
    images.jpg

Had a tough time getting a bigger picture.

2. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Call Vince Santos at the Centinela service center. For a while they had a bunch of old Roasdter hard tops and wheels in storage. They might still have them.

3. Mobility

Mobility Member

Hi DrComputer,

Will check it out. Thanks for the lead.

4. steve873

steve873 Member

Mrfiat.com sells a carbon fiber top for the roadster. Some members did a group buy some time ago
    and got a discount. I would be interested in a group buy. I will contact them
    and let you know how many people we need.(If you would be interested in that route)

5. shrink

shrink Member

I have the silver forged wheels on the page below:

Shop Tesla Gear Performance

Are yours the black forged wheels on the same page or black alloy?

I've been wanting to swap my silver forged for black forged wheels. Let me know.

I have a 2.0. Is yours a 2.0 or 2.5? I'm guessing the latter. Need to be sure the wheels are swappable if you are interested.

6. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#6 wiztecy, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    The one MrFiat has is a clear plexiglass top, not CF.

- - - Updated - - -

Any Roadster rim will fit all Roadsters. If its a sport, they made a change to those forged rims as compared to the 2.x forged rims. The sports are not flat on the face but rather angled in and have a more sporty look.

The pic of the green Roadster appears to be a "Sport" and has those "angled" sport rims on it. You may want to clarify which ones you have and which ones you're searching for.

Sport:
    wheels25.jpg

Non-Sport:
    wheels15.jpg

7. Mobility

Mobility Member

Great observation. my Roadster is a "Sport." Have not fully noticed the slight difference. Will check it out & re-evaluate. Thanks for making the observation.

8. shrink

shrink Member

Thanks, wiztecy. That was very helpful. I have the non-sport silver forged in the lower left of the pictures you posted. They are in perfect condition, no curb gashes or anything. I just want some black ones. Mobility, let me know if you're interested and congrats on your Roadster!

9. Mobility

Mobility Member

Hi Shrink,

Thanks! Let me think about it & Ill get back to you.

10. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

It appears that the sporty rims didn't just come on sports but were also available on the non-sport 2.5 Roadsters. Looking at the Tesla Rim link above there's a special drop down for a 2.5 which most likely the sport style. So an option would be to buy a silver sport set and put your black sport set up for sale.

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

That looks like the wheel pix were lifted from this old thread I had created:
    Roadster History North America

The legend should be more like:
    [later 2.0 Sport & 2.5 Sport, as well as later base models that upgraded to those "forged" wheels]:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=49337&d=1400181073.jpg
    (note the gray one all the way on the right was only available on the "final 5" 2.5 Roadsters)

[early 1.5 cars standard wheels, that later became optional. Were standard on early 2.0 sport]:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=49338&d=1400181113.jpg

You missed this type of wheel:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=6368&d=1338101926.jpg
    It is the "cast" wheel that became standard on later 1.5 cars and base model 2.x cars.

12. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Thanks for the clarification TEG! And don't forget the gun metal rims for the casts which appeared to be a mistake by the rim vendor:
    DSC_0052.JPG

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

14. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Plexiglass is a brand name for acrylic. Its the same thing. I just noticed the two listings too, I thought the $700 price increase was for the top case/cover. Didn't see the weight difference. Contact Mr. Fiat and ask him, I'm curious.

15. jory

jory Member

i have a "clear" tesla CF hard top (so unpainted showing CF pattern, not clear plastic) with paint armor and mounting HW and tesla bag that i am going to list for sale.

(also some goes for a taylor mesh top made from a donor tesla soft top.)

16. jory

jory Member

i ended up selling the CF hardtop to someone locally. i just listed the taylor meshtop (made from a donor OEM tesla softtop) on eBay.