Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a Model 3 now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, there are so few out as yet, and (maybe???) only with employees who may have signed a contract not to sell it (???) that if you're willing to pay whatever it takes, you could get a Model S. Those are readily available if you're willing to pay whatever it takes.

If I may ask, why are you so anxious to get a Model 3 this early in the process, when there could still be undiscovered bugs that will be fixed as production ramps up? Compared to the S, the 3 is rather a plain-Jane kind of car.

Theoretically speaking... If someone were to have two reservations (made minutes apart) for a Jan-March delivery of a 310 range Model3. How would it work out to buy both cars and then later sell (still new) one of the cars?
How would/could it work for the tax credit?

Theoretically speaking... If someone were to have two reservations (made minutes apart) for a Jan-March delivery of a 310 range Model3. How would it work out to buy both cars and then later sell (still new) one of the cars?

If you take delivery of both cars, even if you immediately sell after, the tax credit goes to you. The new buyer also has to pay sales tax on the transaction with you.

The only way to make it work is to have Tesla treat the new person as the buyer, which they're unwilling to do at this time. Tesla doesn't care who it's registered to, but they only allow the reservation holder to be considered the buyer on their end and the money has to be under the reservation holder's name. Their paperwork for IRS purposes will almost certainly be under the reservation holder's name. That's what I've been told by Tesla directly (they respond REALLY fast if you contact them; like minutes).

If you intend to sell the car you cannot claim the tax credit for it, neither can the buyer since they are not the original owner.

Nobody can stop you from selling one of the cars (or both). But a car purchased with the intention of re-selling it does not qualify for the tax credit, and only a car purchased new qualifies. The sooner you sell the car after buying it, the more likely it is that the IRS would notice and check to make sure nobody was claiming the credit illegally.

But as Atlas310 points out, someone willing to "pay any price" for one probably doesn't care about the tax credit. I'd sell mine if someone offered an obscene amount for it. I don't expect that to happen. I'll undercut scottm, though: Half a million, processed through escrow at my bank to avoid scams, and my Model 3 is yours. (In which case, I'll obey the law and not claim the tax credit.)

But as I've noted above, who would pay more than the cost of a Model S to get a Model 3? It just doesn't make sense.

• Funny
Reactions: larmor
Nobody can stop you from selling one of the cars (or both). But a car purchased with the intention of re-selling it does not qualify for the tax credit, and only a car purchased new qualifies. The sooner you sell the car after buying it, the more likely it is that the IRS would notice and check to make sure nobody was claiming the credit illegally.

But as Atlas310 points out, someone willing to "pay any price" for one probably doesn't care about the tax credit. I'd sell mine if someone offered an obscene amount for it. I don't expect that to happen. I'll undercut scottm, though: Half a million, processed through escrow at my bank to avoid scams, and my Model 3 is yours. (In which case, I'll obey the law and not claim the tax credit.)

But as I've noted above, who would pay more than the cost of a Model S to get a Model 3? It just doesn't make sense.
You should ask them to pay in bars of gold press latinum, which might come in handy for the BFR flight to mars and for all intents and purposes, deep space...

You should ask them to pay in bars of gold press latinum, which might come in handy for the BFR flight to mars and for all intents and purposes, deep space...

Why?

I had to google latinum to find out it is some kind of make-believe stuff from a third-rate sci-fi franchise. I'm not selling my car for latinum, bitcoin, or any other make-believe stuff. U.S. dollars in my bank account is all I'm accepting. (Okay, in one sense, money in the bank is "unreal," but it's backed by the full force and faith of the country I happen to live in, and accepted around the world, to the point where when I travel I never even have to exchange money because everyone happily accepts dollars, which can't be said of latinum, bitcoin, Russian roubles, or Albanian leks. When the U.S. dollar collapses, there's going to be such chaos that nothing but food or guns & ammunition will have any value, and the latter only because it will help you to steal the former.

And there's no way I'm going to Mars: A year in weightlessness exposed to cosmic radiation, barfing my guts out from space sickness, followed by a 50% chance of crashing into the planet and an instant death, and if we survive, then a lifetime of never breathing fresh air again or seeing a sunset or a tree, or ever paddling a canoe among humpback whales or snorkeling with sea turtles or drinking from a glacier-fed stream while hiking in the mountains. You'd have to be nuts to sign up for that. The BFR might be the launch vehicle for a trip to Mars some day, but I sure as heck won't be on it.

A commercial jetliner is as high above the surface of this green Earth as I ever intend to be. And for that I have to pay in dollars, not latium or bitcoin or roubles or leks.

0C6F0D95-2559-4D64-8199-87B2B35E11B7.jpeg
My cat Calvin is looking for one also.