Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a plug-in Home Charger recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Team,
Any recommendations for a plug in home charger solution in SF Bay Area?
I currently have a bulky Blink plug-in charger (circa 2011) with 40amp wiring. I am looking to upgrade to a faster and smaller plug-in charger.
Since I own a MX as well as a BMW i3, i would not be getting a Tesla only charger.
Thanks for any suggestions.
PS: Also I looked and saw that there are no current EV charger install incentive programs beyond the federal tax deduction. (subject to AMT)

Actually looking at Jesla link above, I am wondering isn't the included Tesla charger a de facto plug in charger?

I could just get another one of those for the garage and keep it plugged in into the 40a 240v plug point that I have there,

Thoughts?

The Jesla is basically a modified Tesla portable charger with a J1772 handle. It was initially created for the Toyota Rav4 EV by a enthusiast. He has since made it into a company.

Yes, you could just get another portable charger and keep it in the garage and use the J1772 adapter. Would be much cheaper at $550 + $99 adapter. Only part is if you don't have a Tesla yet, you would have to find someone with one to help you buy it.

• Informative
Reactions: sukhi
Team,
Any recommendations for a plug in home charger solution in SF Bay Area?
I currently have a bulky Blink plug-in charger (circa 2011) with 40amp wiring. I am looking to upgrade to a faster and smaller plug-in charger.
Since I own a MX as well as a BMW i3, i would not be getting a Tesla only charger.
Thanks for any suggestions.
PS: Also I looked and saw that there are no current EV charger install incentive programs beyond the federal tax deduction. (subject to AMT)
have you considered using the chargers that come with the tesla and the I3? all you'd need to do is install a 14-50 and whatever plug the I3 uses.

Actually looking at Jesla link above, I am wondering isn't the included Tesla charger a de facto plug in charger?

I could just get another one of those for the garage and keep it plugged in into the 40a 240v plug point that I have there,

Thoughts?
The big problem is that it can't be set or configured for a 40a circuit...otherwise I might have got a JESLA myself (the RAV4EV doesn't have the dial down feature, so it would have been hopeless). I decided to go the OpenEVSE route for my carry-along EVSE.

With the new and cheaper HPWC, you could certainly consider getting one "JESLA'd" and reuse the pigtail from the Blink (I have one too, which I'm still using) to plug it in. Of course, If it's a permanent install, you could also just eliminate the receptacle and use the box as a junction box to hardwire the HPWC instead.

Last year Greg D., Henry Sharp and I discovered a standards problem for the Roadster and most J1772 chargers on the market. We confirmed the issue with Clipper Creek, the original maker of the Roadster HPWC.

Roadster was built before the J1772 standard was finalized and the issue is that modern J1772 chargers have the pilot signal cycle at the end of the charge. Roadsters then think they were just plugged in for the first time and start a charge. The Roadster cycles over and over as each time the charging restarts, it learns that it is full of charge. This is ultimately bad for your contactors.

I recently learned of Tony WIlliams' Jesla products and wonder if anybody has experience with these converted Tesla UMC and wall charges. Do they shut off at the end of a charge session, or do they continuously cycle also?

There are also 40 amp and 80 amp J1772 converted Tesla Wall connectors called Jwall sold by the same guys as the Jesla. You could get the 40 amp version and a genuine Tesla wall connector and have them load-share your existing 40 amp circuit so you can plug in your Tesla and your i3 at the same time. It needs to be hard wired, but that's what I would do in the OP's situation.

Another option is to get a Tesla Wall Connector, put a plug pigtail on it and buy a "Jdapter Stub" so you can charge the i3 from the Tesla Wall Connector. Of course, a Clipper Creek HCS-40 and the Tesla J1772 adapter would be cheaper. The HCS-40 is also available in a "Share-2" bundle that allows the two stations to share one circuit and split the power like the Tesla Wall Connectors can.

Lots of available choices.

As I had mentioned in the post before this - the Clipper Creek HCS-40 is not going to be compatible with a Roadster unless you will be around when the charge is done to unplug the car. In fact none of their products will work. The car will finish a charge, and then a minute later will click the contactors off and on and try to restart the charge. It will do this until you physically unplug the car from the charger. Even stopping the charge from OVMS or the VD will not work. The handshake protocol for the Roadster predates the finalization of the J1772 specifications and the pilot signal of most chargers will make the car try to charge over and over again. We tested this together with Clipper Creek at their factory when Greg D brought his car there to test. Even Clipper Creek did not know about this issue.

I want to know if anybody has charged their Roadster using the Jwall product which is a new Tesla Wall Connector with a J1772 plug.

Clipper Creek is an outstanding company and their products are top notch. They were helpful in looking at the issue, but not to the point of making a few chargers that will actually turn off when a Roadster charge is done. Too bad as they made the original Roadster chargers, and the owner drives a Roadster!

As I had mentioned in the post before this - the Clipper Creek HCS-40 is not going to be compatible with a Roadster unless you will be around when the charge is done to unplug the car. In fact none of their products will work. The car will finish a charge, and then a minute later will click the contactors off and on and try to restart the charge. It will do this until you physically unplug the car from the charger. Even stopping the charge from OVMS or the VD will not work. The handshake protocol for the Roadster predates the finalization of the J1772 specifications and the pilot signal of most chargers will make the car try to charge over and over again. We tested this together with Clipper Creek at their factory when Greg D brought his car there to test. Even Clipper Creek did not know about this issue.

I want to know if anybody has charged their Roadster using the Jwall product which is a new Tesla Wall Connector with a J1772 plug.

Clipper Creek is an outstanding company and their products are top notch. They were helpful in looking at the issue, but not to the point of making a few chargers that will actually turn off when a Roadster charge is done. Too bad as they made the original Roadster chargers, and the owner drives a Roadster!
You're the only one talking about the Roadster. The OP has a X and an i3.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H