Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a replacement 12 volt battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I should have been more clear. A replacement battery that does not have it's own computer controlling it so our cars do not trip codes. It would also be nice to have one that is not ridiculously over priced.

The Tesla Model 3 12V is quite affordable, as it's just a regular 12V battery AFAIK. Nothing special! It lists for $85 from Tesla as far as I can tell (installed, it is $124, but there's no reason to go to the trouble - you can simply replace it without any other work, based on the activities of the mobile service technician in my driveway on Friday - note he was NOT replacing the 12V). Pretty hard to beat that.

Contact your service department and pick one up today! May as well get one that is a drop-in replacement (including the vent tube location), and if you really want to, you can get an extra after a couple years, when your battery is aging, and lug it around with you "just in case" (of course keeping it on a battery tender in the meantime).

TONS on the market in the correct size. Auto Zone, Advance, O'Reilly, NAPA, etc....

But they are extremely expensive in the searches I have seen, due to them being AGM, etc. Typically over $150.

Note that AGM require slightly different charging profiles than SLA, so the Model 3 may not optimize the lifetime of such an expensive battery (which should last longer than SLA, under optimal conditions).

Also, the auto parts store searches don’t always seem to work correctly.

What is the correct size? Thanks.

Lots of discussion in this thread. Including auto parts store discussion.

12v battery details from manufacturer

It is a group 51R battery with SAE posts, and it is NOT an AGM, based on all available direct evidence (cost, manufacturer document).
And it costs $85. Obviously you do not need to pay for labor if you do not want to; the replacement is straightforward.

EBDD37A7-6B78-4A31-8E0D-007C8186F61D.png

Last edited:
But they are extremely expensive in the searches I have seen, due to them being AGM, etc. Typically over $150.

Note that AGM require slightly different charging profiles than SLA, so the Model 3 may not optimize the lifetime of such an expensive battery (which should last longer than SLA, under optimal conditions).

Also, the auto parts store searches don’t always seem to work correctly.

Lots of discussion in this thread. Including auto parts store discussion.

12v battery details from manufacturer

It is a group 51R battery with SAE posts, and it is NOT an AGM, based on all available direct evidence (cost, manufacturer document).
And it costs $85. Obviously you do not need to pay for labor if you do not want to; the replacement is straightforward.

View attachment 603108

I was asking mainly for those who do not live close to a service center and would need to go to the local walmart/auto parts store. I have not found a 51R Marine battery which is basically what Tesla uses. A marine battery is designed for deep discharge, a auto battery is not and would quickly fail.

I was asking mainly for those who do not live close to a service center and would need to go to the local walmart/auto parts store. I have not found a 51R Marine battery which is basically what Tesla uses. A marine battery is designed for deep discharge, a auto battery is not and would quickly fail.

Is there reason to believe that the stock 12V battery faces regular deep discharge? I thought the system was kind of designed to prevent that.

Is there reason to believe that the stock 12V battery faces regular deep discharge? I thought the system was kind of designed to prevent that.

Looks to me like it's not more than about 12Ah. Based on perhaps 24 hours at most at 0.5A at the very longest between sleep/wake cycles. That would be about 25% DoD.

I don't know anything about marine batteries and why they are better than normal batteries. If they're AGM, it wouldn't be relevant, since the Model 3 battery is not apparently AGM.

Anyway the other thread I linked has a lot of options, some of which appear to work, for those not near a service center. People should just keep in mind that these options are more than twice as expensive than the stock battery and if it's AGM (I haven't seen any that aren't) the charging profile probably won't be right (I have no idea how sensitive AGM is to an SLA profile).

Reactions: brkaus
I don't think it's necessarily "marine" that you'd be looking for if deep cycles are the risk. There are deep cycle batteries that aren't marine rated.

Ohmmu is often cited here as a worthwhile replacement, but I imagine you've seen those threads. If not, search for that term.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I don't think it's necessarily "marine" that you'd be looking for if deep cycles are the risk. There are deep cycle batteries that aren't marine rated.

Ohmmu is often cited here as a worthwhile replacement, but I imagine you've seen those threads. If not, search for that term.

Yeah. Just seems like a lot of money, since you can buy 5 Tesla OEM batteries for the price of that battery (assuming you're within range of a service center of course). It seems like even if you pre-emptively replaced your Tesla battery every two years you'd end up winning.

The other thing that is weird is I haven't been able to find the capacity of the Ohmmu battery anywhere. It is lighter, which I guess is good if you're drag racing.

Last edited:
Reactions: P3dStealth
Yeah. Just seems like a lot of money, since you can buy 5 Tesla OEM batteries for the price of that battery (assuming you're within range of a service center of course). It seems like even if you pre-emptively replaced your Tesla battery every two years you'd end up winning.

I've said this before and nobody believed me when I said the oem battery is only $85. Thanks for posting the cost sheet.

It makes more sense to just keep an OEM spare or 5.

• Funny
Reactions: Tz00 and Rocky_H
Status
Not open for further replies.