Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a replacement 12 volt battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a time frame/mileage when tesla 12v battery fail? A failing 12v battery on a tesla is more inconvenient than a regular ICE car. It would seem to be smart preventative maintenance.
Really isn't that much different from an ICE car in this regard - once you have some experience.

Jumper pack & the car will start and the DC2DC will provide the needed power. Unless the battery is so bad that the jumper cannot get it going. In that case, disconnect & replace the 12v.

I believe it will also run with the 12v out, once it's going. Just don't let anything short out!

Use the climate keeper mode to keep the car from sleeping so the DC2DC stays active after it's jumped.

Reactions: android04
I am at 2 1/2 years. I am considering replacing mine in the spring before next summer's road trips. Cheap insurance.
I think that’s a good idea. I’ll try buying one at 2.5 years. Heck I really haven’t spent anything on maintenance so it’s a small price to pay. Only thing I’ve regularly added is windshield washers fluid. And I’ just bought one bottle.

Note they sometimes go out at the first cold snap or first hot snap after winter. Just from my non-statistics (and this totally invalid) view.

I am kind of hoping it does go out before next summer. In winter, I drive a ten year old hybrid "beater" unless the roads are dry, and we take our long trips only in summer with our Tesla. If the battery fails before summer I schedule a Ranger visit to replace it, Tesla pays for it and I continue to drive my hybrid until the Ranger arrives (usually within a week). OTOH, I don't want to be 700 miles and a six hour ferry ride away from the nearest SC in August when the battery fails.

Reactions: brkaus
Status
Not open for further replies.