TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Looking for a Roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by dfdtruckie, Jun 1, 2013.

1. dfdtruckie

dfdtruckie Member

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I have been looking at purchasing a roadster. My price point is in the mid $60k range. I'm assuming with my price point I'm looking at 08-09'.
    Please chime in on what I should be aware of when looking at purchasing a used model. Potential issues, problems etc...

1)What are your experiences with maintenance(minor or major)?
    2)Cost of the repairs?
    3)Were any of you able to do the repairs/general service yourselves?
    4)What was the most expensive service have you had or heard of? Thought I read a "ESS" or something that was $30k to repair

Thank you and I appreciate the input.

2. 7racer

7racer Member

you might want to check the "forsale" section
    Tesla for Sale

I have a 2012-13 so might be different but most of your answers can be found on the forum.
    but in general
    1. no major maintenance...but I burn thru rear tires...and car cleaning stuff because I like keeping the roadster looking new. Seriously, thats really it on maintenance
    2. as above with tires...look at the sticky for the performance tire choices
    3. in general Tesla did all the service...if you get a CPO they will keep doing it
    4...nothing major

3. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

My biggest concern would be the battery. If the car is not local, get someone, hopefully another Tesla owner, to look at the screen and see what the ideal miles are. Have them take a picture of the screen so you can be sure the number you are seeing is the ideal miles and not the range amount.

Good luck, the cars are a blast!

4. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

To Pantera's comment - I did exactly what he recommended. I posted here looking for owners in the NJ area to help me with the car I bought back in March. Took less than 24 hours and I had pictures and commentary from two people in the vicinity of the car I ended up buying. Their help made a big difference in my comfort level at buying an expensive sports car sight unseen.

I believe you will be surprised at how helpful this community can be, and if you're looking for a Roadster, then the path to success is to treat the entire country as your market - there are only ~1500 total, with 3-10 for sale in the private market at a time.

There is also the Tesla CPO program - you can find contact info for them on the Tesla Motors website, along with pictures of the cars they have for sale.

5. dfdtruckie

dfdtruckie Member

Pantera,
    I'm confused, what do you mean by "ideal miles"? Where would one find the screen that displays this info?

thank you

6. adiggs

adiggs Active Member

dfd.. - on the VDS (Vehicle Display System - the display on the center console down your knee on the 2.5), the standard page (default page that is shown while driving, but not the only available choice), the car reports as a default the number of "Ideal Miles" of range available at the current charge level. This is a helpful way to think about the health of the battery, though like all such metrics, it is imperfect.

For my part, my 2.5 Roadster Sport with 14k miles charges to 181 Ideal Miles each morning (sometimes to 182 or 183).

There are more precise measurements, but this is something you can reasonably expect to describe to a car salesman and get information about. It is a proxy measurement for the health and balance of the battery.

Your next question will probably be something like "what's good? what's a warning?" :) We'll need others with more experience than either of us to provide more information for interpretation. When I went hunting for the answer on my car, I got back a number that was right at what somebody had told me to expect for the mileage, so that was the end of my investigation. In time, I'll probably learn more, but it works for me, for now.