Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a Rugged USB key for Tesla Cam and Sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are other version that includes a battery pack.

Mind you, I haven't try that on my Tesla yet. The whole idea is your SSD is attached to your car securely, preventing others to remove it easily.
Thanks. For $30 I'll pick one up. Don't care much about the battery backup, but that's an interesting option. I'm assuming when Sentry mode is on the usb is fully powered anyway. Today with Sentry on my range dropped 25km in 8-ish hours at work. Ouch, that's 3.75 kwh.....should be enough surplus energy to run this at the same time I think :)

Thanks. For $30 I'll pick one up. Don't care much about the battery backup, but that's an interesting option. I'm assuming when Sentry mode is on the usb is fully powered anyway. Today with Sentry on my range dropped 25km in 8-ish hours at work. Ouch, that's 3.75 kwh.....should be enough surplus energy to run this at the same time I think :)

For iPhone (it also works with android), you simply download an app, change your wifi to "TripleMateNano…", then inside the app, you can see your SSD and have access to the content.

The idea here, as far as I can visualize, is to attach the SSD securely (may be inside the glovebox or screw it in) somewhere in the car, run the usb cable to the data port and use the SSD normally. When we need to access the content, either at home or on the road, you unplug the usb cable from the port and plug it into this TripMate, and access it from your iPhone wirelessly. Of course, if your tripmate is using your home network, you can access it from the network.

The nice thing about it, a thief cannot steal the SSD from the car because it is secured.

For iPhone (it also works with android), you simply download an app, change your wifi to "TripleMateNano…", then inside the app, you can see your SSD and have access to the content.

The idea here, as far as I can visualize, is to attach the SSD securely (may be inside the glovebox or screw it in) somewhere in the car, run the usb cable to the data port and use the SSD normally. When we need to access the content, either at home or on the road, you unplug the usb cable from the port and plug it into this TripMate, and access it from your iPhone wirelessly. Of course, if your tripmate is using your home network, you can access it from the network.

The nice thing about it, a thief cannot steal the SSD from the car because it is secured.

Other than securing your SSD, I don't see how this method would be more convenient than taking out the USB drive. and plugging into your computer at home. You still need to unplug and plug in devices/cables?

Weird, I checked the samsung.com website and it stated 32F as the lowest operating temperature which I thought was weird. Most electronics can go at least to -20C. I guess Amazon has different specs listed?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I've looked all over and it's surprising that most manufacturers don't state the temperatures, or 0C is the lowest operating temperature. I think the Samsung MUF wins just because it is officially rated to -20C:

Here's the Samsung link with the specs and it matches the Amazon description:

USB 3.1 Flash Drive FIT Plus 128GB Memory & Storage - MUF-128AB/AM | Samsung US

sounds like put a NAS in the car with LTE card is even safer and more convenient LOL

Has anyone tried this:

WD 2TB My Passport Wireless SSD External Portable Drive - WiFi USB 3.0 - WDBAMJ0020BGY-NESN https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMM2HGD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3GxOCbQTMD8XP
That brings overkill to a new level ;)

Kind of a neat product, but way overpriced at 850 usd with shipping... and over spec'd for this use case IMO. Maybe the 250gb model at 235 usd could be useful, but but that's still a load to drop when a 32 GB or 64gb stick does the trick. 2tb is plain crazy for this application.

Operating temperature range is above 0 Celsius though, so this isn’t a year-round solution for many.

Very true. I’m ok with it as mines garaged and winter stored for 31/2 months a year. Its a pretty rugged shock and water resistant unit and I’m hoping much more reliable than a thumb drive. I’m more concerned with it being reliable for Sentry Mode as I also have a Blackvue 900 4K 2ch. The Blackvue however is not hardwired with ‘parking mode’ enabled as it is on our Escape.
For me the decision was either the SSD for TeslaCam or a battery pack for the Blackvue. Besides my wife wanted the 128gb USB 3 SanDisk thumb drive I was using in the car for movies...:)

I actually use a Micro SDCard designed for Dashcams and a decent MicroSD USB Reader that keeps the card well protected. Did not have any failure with this setup the whole Ottawa winter and since TeslaCam is available. It also runs Sentry mode no problem.Even use the same card in dual partition for USB music.

The SDCard is actually guaranteed to withstand continuous HD video write for 5 years.

Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB Micro SDXC Card with Adapter - 100MB/s U1 (MB-MJ128GA/AM)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B984HJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rocketek® 11 in 1 USB 3.0 Memory Card Reader / Writer with a Build-in Card Cover and 2 Slots (SD + Micro SD) for SDXC, UHS-I SD, SDHC, SD, Micro SDXC, Micro SDHC, Micro SD, MMC memory cards

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00IX9ZDKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually use a Micro SDCard designed for Dashcams and a decent MicroSD USB Reader that keeps the card well protected. Did not have any failure with this setup the whole Ottawa winter and since TeslaCam is available. It also runs Sentry mode no problem.Even use the same card in dual partition for USB music.

The SDCard is actually guaranteed to withstand continuous HD video write for 5 years.

Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB Micro SDXC Card with Adapter - 100MB/s U1 (MB-MJ128GA/AM)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07B984HJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rocketek® 11 in 1 USB 3.0 Memory Card Reader / Writer with a Build-in Card Cover and 2 Slots (SD + Micro SD) for SDXC, UHS-I SD, SDHC, SD, Micro SDXC, Micro SDHC, Micro SD, MMC memory cards

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00IX9ZDKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thats the trick. Really high quality Micro SD's. MLC Class 10. Costs more but will work. The Blackvue cards I have had for over a year are great. There is a reason they cost more.

One of the reasons I bought the SSD is I have other uses for it when the car is winter stored.

I'm looking for recommendations on a SSD that can operate below freezing point for a year round solution, anyone?
Contact SpaceX to know how there were able to deal with this issue...

40110304192_d1bc0db0ce_h.jpg