Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a solution to put a HUD in a Tesla model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for recommends for a HUD device, hopefully one that won't get blocked or made inoperative with any sw upgrades.
I suppose I could simply not upgrade my SW..
The reason is I have macular edema ( which may temporarily, or even permanently, compromise my vision in one eye)
I'm perfectly OK to drive with the one eye which has excellent acuity ,however having a display in front may be beneficial.
I'm not expecting the display to be as good as an OEM product ( JLR's is exceptionally good)
I'm looking for a complete solution, Inc cables to suit a MY2022 M3.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the one from Hansshow. Not a HUD but I think it's great. SW updates don't affect it either. Model 3, Y Center Console Dashboard Touch Screen (Linux 9.0'')
1656973043243.png

I’ll second the 9” hansshow Linux display. It’s a small footprint than the previous versions, it helps with the airflow a bit. Not fully, but it’s better with this smaller bezel.

It’s small enough that you can view it pretty clearly through the regular steering wheel (pics w and without yoke attached)

Attachments

• 2E1A3A2F-4764-4700-83BE-E1D386B0BE5A.jpeg
    2E1A3A2F-4764-4700-83BE-E1D386B0BE5A.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 226
  • E287064A-EB96-4829-B27B-691EB91AC79F.jpeg
    E287064A-EB96-4829-B27B-691EB91AC79F.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 234
I assume that the display works for us who have the steering wheel and pedals on the correct side of the car?

Lovely interior by the way.
Thank you! You can get it either way. It also works with Android Auto or Car Play. I like it for speedometer, battery range, and sometimes navi. I can then use the larger screen for other things.

I was being silly on the 1st point...

However, looks like I might just treat myself.
I found this in the general Model 3 thread. I have a few questions about the product, but if it works as well as they say - it could be a quick/easy solution for a HUD.

Reactions: DaveNN
Looks interesting. Might work well for you. I use my phone a lot when I'm driving. All bluetooth of course. I don't know how well it would work for me with text msgs, email, phone calls, etc. I know they are working on an app for that integration, but I like that my screen is dedicated for car data, nav, etc. I can have text msg on it, but I like it separate.

Reactions: DaveNN
Looks interesting. Might work well for you. I use my phone a lot when I'm driving. All bluetooth of course. I don't know how well it would work for me with text msgs, email, phone calls, etc. I know they are working on an app for that integration, but I like that my screen is dedicated for car data, nav, etc. I can have text msg on it, but I like it separate.
This does look great, not expensive too.
I've got a few Android phones that do the job.

I’ll second the 9” hansshow Linux display. It’s a small footprint than the previous versions, it helps with the airflow a bit. Not fully, but it’s better with this smaller bezel.

It’s small enough that you can view it pretty clearly through the regular steering wheel (pics w and without yoke attached)
hi, so nice to find this information, in fact I was looking on this at taobao and amazon and exactly found the brand you are talking about.
how is it ? after time. does it connects separately and you can connect your phone by wifi or bluetooth to it and just switch on waze to speak via tiny speaker while music is played via regular Tesla system?

Reactions: PauliePucks
hi, so nice to find this information, in fact I was looking on this at taobao and amazon and exactly found the brand you are talking about.
how is it ? after time. does it connects separately and you can connect your phone by wifi or bluetooth to it and just switch on waze to speak via tiny speaker while music is played via regular Tesla system?
You can definitely connect your phone to the car and the display at the same time. The latest software for the display has cleaned up most of the audio issues that were present at launch.

There is now a v2 9” Linux display that has just released from Hansshow, it features OTA updates and also has 3 different gauge cluster options, I believe it shows navigation information as well. It’s about $150 more. I am considering upgrading once I see the navigation feature in action.

Also, just so you are aware - while there are several versions of the Linux screen available on Amazon, they don’t all have the same software - and buying one of the off name brands you might find yourself stuck without an future updates. I am unsure if the hansshow firmware would work on a display that isn’t sold by hansshow…It might, it might not. That’s something you would have to figure out.

You can always DM me if you have more questions! My YouTube page has a video on upgrading the firmware on the display, as well. Same user name as here, Paulie Pucks.

I wanted to try one of these out and was looking for the cheapest one... ordered this one from Amazon even though some of the reviews said it didn't work with the rear OBD:

1670871126833.png

It doesn't block the vent, just used one of those sticky mats so it doesn't move on the dashboard and I hid the wire better through the vent channels. Very easy to install, works with the most updated software on my 2021 Y and only cost $25.

The only knock is it does 24-hr time. I thought I would return it but my wife likes it and although a little cheap looking, the value of having this information in front of me is worth it. Since it displays battery percentage I switched my center console to mileage remaining.

I'm supposed to be able to bluetooth pair it with their app to put nav directions on it but haven't tried that yet.

I was thinking about one of those smaller ones you can put in the vent channel but I didn't want to block the airflow.

Reactions: idco

Does it work with polarized sunglasses? In other words can you view the display while wearing polarized sunglasses? The screen doesn't turn black?

Peter

Last edited: