Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a solution to put a HUD in a Tesla model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw your YouTube video about updating the firmware to fix status lights indicators and you described one of the lights indicators as "fog lights". It's actually "Parking Lights". If you select to only turn on the Parking Lights, you should see only one status light indicator on the screen and that's parking lights. Next turn on the headlights, you should see both Parking and Head lights status indicators on the screen. Finally, activate high beam and you should see all three status lights indicators.

That's how my Hansshow Ultra Mini Display Screen works.

Peter

I saw your YouTube video about updating the firmware to fix status lights indicators and you described one of the lights indicators as "fog lights". It's actually "Parking Lights". If you select to only turn on the Parking Lights, you should see only one status light indicator on the screen and that's parking lights. Next turn on the headlights, you should see both Parking and Head lights status indicators on the screen. Finally, activate high beam and you should see all three status lights indicators.

That's how my Hansshow Ultra Mini Display Screen works.

Peter
Thank for the tip, I’ll have to update that video soon as I’m getting the V2 of the display. (Same display, new gauges and now OTA updates which is very convenient)

My car is a little different as I have an SR+, which doesn’t come with factory fog lights enabled, I have an ingenext module which allows them to be activated. This could be why they’re displaying incorrectly on my display. (They are correct on the Tesla UI, thinking it’s some kind of CANBUS trick ingenext uses)

Also, I did get a chance to try my polarized sunglasses this morning with the display. I didn’t notice much difference, if you’d like I can snap a pic through the lenses, I’m just unsure of the results.

Thank for the tip, I’ll have to update that video soon as I’m getting the V2 of the display. (Same display, new gauges and now OTA updates which is very convenient)

My car is a little different as I have an SR+, which doesn’t come with factory fog lights enabled, I have an ingenext module which allows them to be activated. This could be why they’re displaying incorrectly on my display. (They are correct on the Tesla UI, thinking it’s some kind of CANBUS trick ingenext uses)

Also, I did get a chance to try my polarized sunglasses this morning with the display. I didn’t notice much difference, if you’d like I can snap a pic through the lenses, I’m just unsure of the results.
Thanks for the polarized sunglasses report. Just remove the sunglasses and still look through the sunglasses, slowly rotate the sunglasses until it gets dark or darker. If it gets dark, at approximately what angle (30, 45, 90 degrees) did that happened. Here is a good example at:

I'm curious about V2 display with OTA firmware updates. Do you know if the OTA is WiFi, cellular (requires SIM card), or paired with smart phone?

Thanks,
Peter

Thanks for the polarized sunglasses report. Just remove the sunglasses and still look through the sunglasses, slowly rotate the sunglasses until it gets dark or darker. If it gets dark, at approximately what angle (30, 45, 90 degrees) did that happened. Here is a good example at:

I'm curious about V2 display with OTA firmware updates. Do you know if the OTA is WiFi, cellular (requires SIM card), or paired with smart phone?

Thanks,
Peter
Interesting - so the only noticeable change was at 90% left. The display was not dark. I did do this test in some rainy/snowy weather, it wasn’t very sunny.

Here’s a link to the v2 screen so you can get the specs right from the source. I haven’t seen a review of one by any of the usually suspects on YT yet. It looks similar to the new 10.25” android screen they are now offering. Difference there is android vs Linux . I’ll take Linux any day over android. This display is snappy.

Make sure you refer to the “OTA Version” I don’t think this has 4g, maybe update over wifi, similar to the vehicle.

Interesting - so the only noticeable change was at 90% left. The display was not dark. I did do this test in some rainy/snowy weather, it wasn’t very sunny.

Here’s a link to the v2 screen so you can get the specs right from the source. I haven’t seen a review of one by any of the usually suspects on YT yet. It looks similar to the new 10.25” android screen they are now offering. Difference there is android vs Linux . I’ll take Linux any day over android. This display is snappy.

Make sure you refer to the “OTA Version” I don’t think this has 4g, maybe update over wifi, similar to the vehicle.
Sounds like very good quality screen. It doesn't matter if it's sunny or dark outside.

I hope OTA update is WiFi. I prefer Linux as well.

Peter

Reactions: PauliePucks
I wanted to try one of these out and was looking for the cheapest one... ordered this one from Amazon even though some of the reviews said it didn't work with the rear OBD:

View attachment 884109

It doesn't block the vent, just used one of those sticky mats so it doesn't move on the dashboard and I hid the wire better through the vent channels. Very easy to install, works with the most updated software on my 2021 Y and only cost $25.

The only knock is it does 24-hr time. I thought I would return it but my wife likes it and although a little cheap looking, the value of having this information in front of me is worth it. Since it displays battery percentage I switched my center console to mileage remaining.

I'm supposed to be able to bluetooth pair it with their app to put nav directions on it but haven't tried that yet.

I was thinking about one of those smaller ones you can put in the vent channel but I didn't want to block the airflow.
Hey, would you be able to share the link to Amazon for the unit? Does it come with the odb harness? Thank you

Hey, would you be able to share the link to Amazon for the unit? Does it come with the odb harness? Thank you
Weird. Looks like it's discontinued. Even went to my orders link and it took me to the smaller in-vent version. Did a search for others and doesn't come up.

It does have the OBD cable for the rear console and it worked with my 21 Y. I heard it doesn't work with newer models.

Found a similar one on eBay that actually looks like it has better information on the display:

if you have poor vision get this one:

or this smaller one:

If you absoloutely must have a true "Hud" (i.e. the speed floating in front of the windscreen).
Then use this:

Sounds like very good quality screen. It doesn't matter if it's sunny or dark outside.

I hope OTA update is WiFi. I prefer Linux as well.

Peter
Hey Peter,

So I saw a video of the v2 9” Linux display finally - and I’m very excited for it.

It is wifi OTA, there is no SIM slot like the android display and therefore, no 4g.

The bezel is even smaller than the one I have, it not quite edge to edge display, but it’s getting there. They also now include a special diffuser that sits in the vent gap that allows air to flow around the base of the screen that would normally be occluded to some degree, which is a deal breaker for many.

3 gauge cluster design options and the Linux ui seems even faster on v2. The “originality” cluster looks really good, it’s almost like an extension of the main UI.

Here’s the video if you’re interested:

Happy Holidays all!

very nice, how have i not seen this on aliexpress yet???

They are now starting to nail the gui. Next step is to display more information on the dash which gets pulled from the car.
I’ve looked too, it’s really hard to narrow down the specific variants (v1, v2 etc)

What I’ve also noticed in AliExpress is that certain displays have different UI’s, and some are pretty bad.

I’m willing to pay the extra 100 for the hansshow one in this instance, they also ship from California now I believe, and they have a decent return policy (my buddy got the v1 a month ago and they announced v2 shortly thereafter and they let him return and pay the difference for v2)

I’ve looked too, it’s really hard to narrow down the specific variants (v1, v2 etc)

What I’ve also noticed in AliExpress is that certain displays have different UI’s, and some are pretty bad.

I’m willing to pay the extra 100 for the hansshow one in this instance, they also ship from California now I believe, and they have a decent return policy (my buddy got the v1 a month ago and they announced v2 shortly thereafter and they let him return and pay the difference for v2)

the chinese are improving the uis but so slowly it makes me wonder who designs those things.
Maybe chinese like shitty uis.

Hey Peter,

So I saw a video of the v2 9” Linux display finally - and I’m very excited for it.

It is wifi OTA, there is no SIM slot like the android display and therefore, no 4g.

The bezel is even smaller than the one I have, it not quite edge to edge display, but it’s getting there. They also now include a special diffuser that sits in the vent gap that allows air to flow around the base of the screen that would normally be occluded to some degree, which is a deal breaker for many.

3 gauge cluster design options and the Linux ui seems even faster on v2. The “originality” cluster looks really good, it’s almost like an extension of the main UI.

Here’s the video if you’re interested:

Happy Holidays all!
Personally I find Hansshow displays better than other brands. I have the Ultra Mini Display and I really like it. They have been responsive via WhatsApp. They sent me firmware updates to fix the headlights status indicators plus responded to my request to select 12 hour clock format.

I like the new 9" Linux display. I feel the large analog speedometer and power meter are waste of space. They could add more UI options by excluding analog speedometer (digital speedometer is already there), make power meter smaller like in Tesla main screen and add more stuff. Overall, this is probably the best display, not too big or small, just the right size.

Peter

Reactions: PauliePucks
Curious if anyone ordered the Hudway HUD?
I have a cheaper one similar to this:

The one I got isn't the same as above (I paid $25 vs $30) but I ordered the above one to compare because it has a bit more info than mine.

I've had it for a few weeks and it works fine. The one advantage is it's above the vents. It doesn't have a clean built-in look but it was easy to install and very cheap compared to these other ones. The main benefit... the wife liked it which I didn't think she would. So there is that. :)

If anyone wants a good deal on a 9” Linux display (v1, not OTA update version) I am selling mine here. I ended up getting the 10.25” android one as T-Mobile gave me a free line with unlimited data on my plan, so I’m going to use the 4g capability and save myself the $10 premium connectivity charge as well.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/fs-hansshow-linux-9”-heads-up-display-for-model-3-y-intel-atom-only.290009/

Happy to answer any questions, take pics or videos of anything anyone would like to see. It’s like new. I do not have a Ryzen harness, I only have an intel one at this time.