TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Looking for a Tesla owner near Amarillo, TX

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Jdcleary, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Jdcleary

Jdcleary Member

#1 Jdcleary, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
    Does anyone know a Tesla owner that lives near Amarillo?

I would like to contact this person and would appreciate a PM with any contact information. My primary purpose is find any accommodations in the area with charging and if there might be a perfect place for a destination charger.

I am aware of RV parks but don’t know if I can count on them and their charging speed is just too slow when travelling long distances.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I assume you have a Model S? Do you have twin chargers? If you only have a single onboard charger then an RV park (50A service) has the exact same plug that you'll find at someone's house and charge at the same speed most likely. Hopefully someone can help you out though. What route are you taking? There might be a Supercharger you can use during the trip as well as the Texas triangle is covered now too.

3. Jdcleary

Jdcleary Member

Dsm363
    Sorry, I should have been more specific.
    During the first week in April we will be travelling from Bella Vista, AR to the Phoenix area via I-40 (2,400 miles Round Trip). Our plans include stopping at RV parks but we aren’t confident that there will always be availability and, that when found, they will work at 28 mph.
    We have a Model S 85 with twin chargers, a home HPWC and it is listed on Plugshare.com. I have looked at Plugshare.com, Chargepoint.com and others and Charge Stations off I-40 through OK, TX and NM are scarce. When we get to Gallop, NM we can supercharge to Holbrook and then to Phoenix.
    I was hoping that a Tesla owner in Albuquerque could suggest a hotel that might have, or be near, a charger. In addition, this person might be able to recommend a place to contact for installing a Tesla Destination Charger - https://teslafactory.wufoo.com/forms/destination-charging/
    I’m aware of the superchargers in Texas but haven’t decided how they might help me on this trip.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The best way is to contact the hotels directly. Don't leave out the Bed & Breakfasts as they are often more flexible because you're almost always dealing with the owners rather than staff. One B&B (not on your route) installed a 14-50 so I could charge while I stayed there. (I much prefer a B&B to hotels).

5. Jdcleary

Jdcleary Member

Good advice! I'll try that.

6. reddy

reddy Member

I've already PM'd JD.

AFAIK, I'm the first Tesla owner in Amarillo, and I've heard that there is 1 other Tesla here but haven't seen it. There is no word yet on exactly when the Amarillo supercharger will be started, or it's location but I'll certainly post when I find out. I have already put inquiries in to the city permit office.

We have lots and lots of hotels and motels here, since we are the only large city between OK City, OK and Albuquerque NM on I-40. The Big Texan was supposed to install some EVSEs but nothing has happened there. I am not aware of any that have 240v available.

There is a Chevy dealer with a EVSE at I40 & Coulter , a Ford dealer 1 mile south of I40 on Soncy, and a Nissan dealer 2.5 miles south of I40 on Soncy. I have tried the Ford and Nissan units and they get about 19 miles per hour of charge. The Ford dealer has a couple food places (PeiWei, Baker Brothers, McAlisters ) across the street.

RV Parks here are very friendly and have decent 50 amp service, but they aren't near any food, lodging, or entertainment. About 40 miles west of Amarillo, there is an RV park across the street from a Best Western in Vega, Texas. This would work for an overnight for you.

North of Amarillo 50 miles, the city of Dumas, TX has a FREE RV park with 50 amp service at Texoma Park on Hwy 87, about 3 blocks west of Highway 287.

I'm hoping that we will get the Tucumcari , Amarillo, Elk City OK, and OKC superchargers installed soon. This would almost connect the Texas network to the rest of the US.