TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Looking for a tesla

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by B_havens0914, Aug 5, 2017.

1. B_havens0914

B_havens0914 Member

hello there. I’m a high school student who doesn’t make much money, but looks forward to having a tesla one day. I work whenever I can, and am saving up to buy a tesla. I am completely on board with tesla and would love to drive a nice car that is good for the environment. I can’t stand hybrids and a leaf doesn’t get enough range. I’m looking to see if someone would be kind enough to offer me a tesla at a good price. I don’t care what kind it is, but I have to stay under 20k. I know that sounds low, but that is the absolute most I could pay. I dont care if the car needs some work, has been rebuilt, or is from 2012. I just love Tesla’s and would love to be apart of the tesla community. Thanks!

2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

#2 BluestarE3, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're not going to find a driveable Tesla for that price. Maybe by the time you're out of college, there will be used Model 3s in that range. Meanwhile, you may have to consider a used (non-Tesla) car if you need something right away. Don't feel badly that a Tesla isn't within reach at the moment. I've waited over 20 years for a car like the Tesla Model 3 (affordable long-range EV) to come into existence. Just be patient and after you get into the job market and save up your money, you'll be able to fulfill your dream.

• Like x 1
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#3 cwerdna, Aug 6, 2017
    Yep, even if there were a non-salvage title drivable Model S for under $20K, if one is that errr.... constrained, it sounds like the OP wouldn't be able to afford out of warranty repairs.

And, and if were salvage title, good luck trying to get it repaired quickly and cheaply, if something goes wrong.

Why is it "I can’t stand hybrids"? (My other car is an 06 Prius that I bought new in Jan 06.) Not all of them are wimpy or strange looking. A 200 hp '12+ Camry Hybrid is reasonably quick and accelerates way better than my pokey Prius. Sure you could find a used one for well under $20K. Better fuel economy == fewer CO2 emissions as burning a gallon of gasoline produces 19.4 pounds of CO2 (Emission Facts: Average Carbon Dioxide Emissions Resulting from Gasoline and Diesel Fuel | US EPA). Many of them are AT-PZEV emission rated (Drive Clean - Glossary of Terms and a 9 of 10 at DriveClean California).

There are probably far more hybrid choices than you're aware of. See July 2017 Dashboard - HybridCars.com. (I wouldn't recommend IMA-based Honda Hybrids though (e.g. Civic Hybrid and Insight) nor gen 1 GM BAS mild hybrids.)

Otherwise, get a used PHEV or wait until a used longer range EV becomes cheap enough.

4. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

If you want a longer range EV while waiting to afford a Tesla, there are some good deals on Bolts available now. Looking on AutoTrader there are a few in the mid-20s available new. In another year, there will probably be plenty around $20K used. Teslas are the only EV that hold their value (bad for you, good for current owners). Finding Nissan Leafs for under $10K is pretty easy if you don't mind an early one. Decent ones are available in the mid-teens.

• Like x 1
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#5 cwerdna, Aug 6, 2017
    OP said "leaf doesn’t get enough range". Unclear what his scenarios and actual needs are.

Doesn't need to be too early. In July 2015, I paid $9,325 + tax and license for my '13 Leaf SV (middle trim) w/premium package. Was 25 months old (2 year lease return), w/clean title, under 24K miles still had all 12 capacity bars then and still does now (getting close to losing one per Leaf Spy). 3 tires were very worn so I replaced all 4 immediately. It had resided in the SF Bay Area, probably South Bay per Carfax records. It had sold at Manheim auction (Manheim partners with nissan motor acceptance corp. And infiniti financial services to create a better, faster way to turn off-lease inventory into sales) for $8K + $325 auction fees that my used car dealer paid.

It replaced the '13 Leaf SV w/both packages I had leased for 2 years which went back to Nissan.

SF bay area cars & trucks - craigslist has an example of prices. Change model year range to desired ranges. Best to get one that was in a mild climate before. If getting a '13, get a 4/2013 or later built one (per driver's side door sticker).

Leaf resale value is pretty terrible, but oddly, it seems used prices have gone up.

Since you're in WA state, Leafs up there rightfully command a premium vs. my area due to your milder climate --> way less battery degradation.

6. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

Though Leafs are pretty common around here. I was looking nationally since I don't know where the OP is from. Looking within 50 miles of me there are 2016 Leafs with under 20K miles in the $16K-$17K range. There is even one advertised with 182 miles on it for $17,496. They say it was a service loaner.

7. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

If the OP's profile location of "26034" is his zip code, then it's Chester, West Virginia. With the next generation Leaf coming out in a month or so, prices for the current generation, whether new or used, may come down even more. As for the Leaf not having enough range, maybe the OP should study his driving habits to see if his range anxiety is warranted. I can envision a commuter or field rep driving many miles per day, but is this an issue for a high school student (assuming he has the ability to charge overnight at home)?

• Like x 1
  8. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

#8 KarenRei, Aug 6, 2017
    Hi, B_havens0914. I think that in your price range, your best bet is going to be to look for salvage (car that's been in an accident, but is salvageable) and repairing it yourself. Learning to weld aluminum would be a good start! Do you know anyone who has experience repairing cars who might be willing to show you the ropes and act as a mentor for such a project? I don't recommend picking up a vehicle that has any damage to the powertrain, however.

A creative solution, if you have no mechanical skills and nobody to help, might be to pick up a salvage vehicle, transport it and all parts to a place where it repair labour would be cheaper (Mexico?), and fix it there. Of course, you have to factor in transport costs (Model Ss aren't supposed to be towed, they're supposed to be taken on a flatbed). Of course, if it's being sold as salvage, probably no concerns about voiding the warranty by towing it - so long as the rear wheels aren't going to fall off, you can turn it on, and get it into drive.

Otherwise, if you don't want to go the salvage route, you'll probably be able to pick up a used Model 3 for under $20k some time around... I'd guess maybe 2022? There should be some dropping below $20k around then. Maybe sooner if they're very high mileage and off warranty (e.g. were used as a courier or for driving Uber)

And yeah, I'd test drive a used Leaf. You might be surprised about your feelings of not wanting to get one after that. Yes, they're short range to begin with, and yes, they tend to lose a lot of range by the time they hit the used market (the battery design isn't very good). But they're dirt cheap, and they're still electric cars, and so still get instant torque (even if not as much as a Tesla), cheap operating costs, etc. Also, you could check out used Volts, and a number of other BEVs and PHEVs. Once you have a good job out of college you can start to save up a lot faster, and then get whatever EV you want - with the latest tech, at that!

9. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I suspect that if there were any $20,000 Tesla out there that worked, there are at least 455,000 buyers lined up for them.

• Like x 1
  10. B_havens0914

B_havens0914 Member

I’m going to college soon so that is my concern. A leaf wouldn’t be a able to make the drive. I really don’t want to go with an ice vehicle, but I might have to. And to answer the question about body work, I have someone who can work on them. I was thinking a salvage would be only option, which I’m ok with...

11. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

How long is your drive? That's a pretty hefty commute if a Leaf can't make it.

Anyway, start monitoring ebay / craigslist / etc, and get your person to check out the vehicle before you buy so you know how much total cost you're putting yourself on the line for. :)

12. B_havens0914

B_havens0914 Member

So I’m at the very top of WV, and I very possibly will be going to central Virginia for college. There is a supercharger on the way there in Wheeling. That’s why I need something with 200 miles of range