TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Looking for a tester

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by mshash, Jan 27, 2014.

1. mshash

mshash Member

Just finished installing a NEMA 14-40 40 amp outlet for our March delivery. Plan on adding the HPWC when it arrives. If anyone lives/visits/or drives through the Fort Belvoir area I'd love to try my outlet on a real, live Model S. Please PM me if interested.

2. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight. You wired it up yourself. Likely without a permit and without an inspection. And you want to "test it out" on someone else's $100k car first before yours? Wow.

3. yobigd20

Btw, what is a NEMA 14-40??? Tesla makes a 14-30 and a 14-50 adapter that use a 30amp / 50 amp breaker. It sounds like you don't have a clue about electrical work which would scare the hell out of me if you wired that up yourself. Sorry i am coming across harsh but playing with 240V and 40-50 amps is lethal if you screwed up.

4. deonb

deonb Active Member

Playing with 240V "40A" is no more lethal than playing with 240V "1A". Current is drawn, not pushed.

The human body will draw up to 800mA from 240V when wet, and down to 2.4mA when completely dry. (Above 10mA combined with bad luck can be lethal).

Any rating above that is irrelevant.

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Wiring a NEMA 14-50 is quite easy and straight forward. I ran the wires and installed mine in a morning.

6. mshash

mshash Member

Ok. So that post didn't go quite the way I thought. It's a NEMA 14-50R. The "40" was a typo. You also made a lot of assumptions in your polite and considerate response.

7. GDH

GDH Banned

HA!....

8. mshash

mshash Member

Look. This was just a friendly invitation. Maybe meet a local owner, have a beer, etc. I don't really care if anyone wants to charge their car or not.
    Mods, feel free to delete this thread. Seems to be getting blown out of proportion.

9. GDH

GDH Banned

Oh relax it's funny.

10. MarkR

MarkR Member

I'd be pleased to test your connection, but AZ is a long way from DC. Welcome to the club!

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Welcome as well. I hope someone can help you out.

12. loganss

loganss Spaceman

No worries. I saw your post but your location is out of my way so i didn't respond. Good luck getting a tester.

13. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Right, another friendly welcome from the left coast here. Sometimes, noobs get hazed on these forums; you were one of the unlucky ones :) We don't bite otherwise.

14. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

1. Nevermind the ruffians ;)
    2. Make sure you VERY tightly torqued the lugs on the breaker AND the outlet.
    3. Test the connections across X and Y (both legs) for 240-250VAC
    4. Feel free to test the legs independently to Neutral, although the UMC doesn't use it.
    5. Test the Neutral to Ground for ohms, as they should be close to 0 if they've met at the breaker box.

As for the UMC, as soon as you plug it in, it should cycle through then give you one green light if it's getting proper circuit. Only pulling a proper load (like a car) will tell if the amps will hold through it. Check the UMC's plug adapter temperature as well as the breaker for any problems. The UMC's cord should be the warmest of the whole thing when drawing 40A.

Good luck, and congrats on the DIY! I've done 3 of them with ZERO issues. TORQUED LUGS is the key to a successful install.

15. yobigd20

Sorry. You're new. My earlier posts were from a mobile app so I couldn't see you were new. I'm very sarcastic and dry humor-ish. Although I was semi-serious about playing with electrical work. Especially higher amps and voltages. Last thing I want to see is someone accidentally get hurt or worse because they didn't fully understand what they were doing.

that being said, I do understand basic electrical work and I've installed two NEMA 14-50s (AFAIK to code) myself with no permit or inspection so I admit I'm a huge hypocrite.

as a 6/3 cable is two hots, neutral and a ground, it's easy to test with a meter. I simply tested one hot + neutral then again but with the other hot and that neutral. meter showed 120V on each so good enough for me. nothing blew up after connecting to my car. :)

16. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

A warm and genuine welcome to the Forum.

Hope you are able to meet a serious and helpful local (to you) Model S owner who will respond to your generous offer of friendship and desire to learn a bit about the car.
    I have met a bunch of people @ Cars and Coffee, Plug-In Day event and Solar Panel events and given some of them a ride (The eight year old and his mom were among the most excited riders.)
    And even let a couple of them drive it, (uhm, but not the eight year old).

There are actually many interesting, considerate and forward thinking folks here.
    Keep your chin up, check your ego at the door, get ready to learn.

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I think Kruggerand bites.

18. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

A comment on the inspection issue. I installed my 14-50 myself and had it inspected and signed off by the County. I figured if there was a problem (fire) it would be easier to get a paid insurance claim if the work had been inspected.

19. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I just wanted to say welcome...I understood the tone of your post...and I'd be happy to help. However, I don't have immediate plans to go through the DC area (I'm in the Hampton Roads area). If I do however, I'll check back with this thread to see if you still need help.