Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a video of a Raven X on Supercharger V3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody! Looking to upgrade to an X sometime soon. Are there any videos out there of a Raven X (or even S) charging at a V3 station in ideal conditions? This would include a low state of charge with the charger set in the navigation.

I've done some searches both on Youtube and Google and can't find anything so far. It's all Model 3.

Hey everybody! Looking to upgrade to an X sometime soon. Are there any videos out there of a Raven X (or even S) charging at a V3 station in ideal conditions? This would include a low state of charge with the charger set in the navigation.

I've done some searches both on Youtube and Google and can't find anything so far. It's all Model 3.
I’m surprised these haven’t showed up....model x owners help us out here!

Hey everybody! Looking to upgrade to an X sometime soon.
Are there any videos out there of a Raven X (or even S) charging at a V3 station in ideal conditions?
This would include a low state of charge with the charger set in the navigation.

Not a V3 but a V2 with a pre-Raven Model X and IONITY CCS with a new Raven Model S.

See at 2:31 getting 142 kW (IONITY chargers are 175KW@ 400V and 350KW@ 800V)

Last edited:
Not a V3 but a V2 with a pre-Raven Model X and IONITY CCS with a new Raven Model S.

See at 2:31 getting 142 kW (IONITY chargers are 175KW@ 400V and 350KW@ 800V)
The pre-raven Model X was charging at a regular CCS 175kW charger, not V2 SuC. 142kW is from the Tritium chargers screen, before loss, the Raven S was showing 134kW at the same point after loss, just about the same as top charge speed as the pre-raven Model X, which seems to max at about ~131kW, but it seems to ramp down earlier.

Still waiting for videos of raven charging on V2 150kW and V3.

To the best of my knowledge, no such video exists yet. Last week someone mentioned in another thread on this topic they had just gotten a Raven (X, I think) near Vegas and were going to go see, but we haven't heard anything yet that I've seen

Back from my first road trip in the Raven Model X. Nothing too surprising, a couple shaky videos probably won't be of much use or interest. Using v2 chargers, the new X looks to charge very similarly to my Model 3. Arriving with a SOC around 15-20%, charge rate quickly ramps up to around 140-149kW, at around 30% SOC the rate fell to 130kW, by 50% SOC the rate falls to around 72kW. The total time to charge and mi/hr rates are of course lower than the Model 3 simply because the battery is larger.

In this session it took 17 minutes to go from 19% SOC to 50% SOC. It was 95º outside...

It's not 100% consistent across charge sessions though, things like outside temp, shared chargers, and probably other factors effect it. I don't have video evidence, but I saw different rates of fall off at different chargers, such that sometimes I believe it was still charging at greater than 72kW at 50% SOC in some cases.

One thing that I'm not clear on is whether the new/current X and S vehicles are capable of pre-conditioning the battery to charge like the Model 3 does. It would seem surprising if they didn't, unless they don't need to for some reason? In the Model 3 if I plug in a nearby supercharger it pretty much immediately starts whining and shows a message indicating it's preparing to supercharge. I do not get this in the X.

• Informative
Reactions: mrdoubleb
Back from my first road trip in the Raven Model X. Nothing too surprising, a couple shaky videos probably won't be of much use or interest. Using v2 chargers, the new X looks to charge very similarly to my Model 3. Arriving with a SOC around 15-20%, charge rate quickly ramps up to around 140-149kW, at around 30% SOC the rate fell to 130kW, by 50% SOC the rate falls to around 72kW. The total time to charge and mi/hr rates are of course lower than the Model 3 simply because the battery is larger.

In this session it took 17 minutes to go from 19% SOC to 50% SOC. It was 95º outside...

It's not 100% consistent across charge sessions though, things like outside temp, shared chargers, and probably other factors effect it. I don't have video evidence, but I saw different rates of fall off at different chargers, such that sometimes I believe it was still charging at greater than 72kW at 50% SOC in some cases.

One thing that I'm not clear on is whether the new/current X and S vehicles are capable of pre-conditioning the battery to charge like the Model 3 does. It would seem surprising if they didn't, unless they don't need to for some reason? In the Model 3 if I plug in a nearby supercharger it pretty much immediately starts whining and shows a message indicating it's preparing to supercharge. I do not get this in the X.

There's definitely a heating based throttling going on, though I'm not sure where the heating is happening - in the car, the stall, the connection, etc.

I've had sessions that matched what you describe. I've also had sessions where it was still pulling 127 kW at 50%, which is what I'll get if I plug in around there. And in real desert heat, it'll go up to 120ish for a few minutes, and be down below 60 within ten minutes.

What I'm really wondering is whether v3 will eliminate that heating and the associated throttling.

If the v3 chargers new cooling system helps, that would be amazing, however, that would only be if the issue is with the heat of the cable or cabinet; if the issue is with maintaining the battery temp, then it probably won't make much difference.

Be nice if we had more info about when/where v3 chargers will be deployed, seems logical to think that all new chargers should be v3, and that they would start replacing busy v2 chargers with v3 equipment, but it seems new v2 chargers are still being opened.

If the v3 chargers new cooling system helps, that would be amazing, however, that would only be if the issue is with the heat of the cable or cabinet; if the issue is with maintaining the battery temp, then it probably won't make much difference.

Be nice if we had more info about when/where v3 chargers will be deployed, seems logical to think that all new chargers should be v3, and that they would start replacing busy v2 chargers with v3 equipment, but it seems new v2 chargers are still being opened.

v3 Superchargers are presumably more expensive, and certainly require bigger connections to the grid or expensive batteries.

Given that, I don't think they'll be a universal replacement for all future installs. Instead, you'll see them installed in new locations that are in high traffic areas, or retrofitted into high use locations.

is it ok/ SAFE to sit in the car whilst charging

Yes. HVAC eats some power and slows your charge rates, but that's more a concern for a 120V plug than any supercharger - it'll be a percent or two for the typical Supercharging session. In extreme conditions, the car may be using all the AC to cool the pack, leading to less available for the cabin, but that's pretty rare in my experience. There is no safety risk to sitting in the car while it charges.

Reactions: jerseygirl18