Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a way to get the max on my replacement 85 kw battery model S 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But wouldn't that 350V system result in lower horsepower/acceleration compared to the original 400V?
I remember some discussion on this a while back when the BTX battery versions were being discovered. I searched some but am having a hard time finding it.
What I remember was people generally saying they couldn't detect much difference. I think the acceleration is based on total power that the battery can supply, and this can supply plenty of current that seems to make up for that--maybe? And that higher voltage acceleration aspect was only detectable in the Performance models and even then only above 90% when the voltage in the pack got really high anyway. So for most of the old 75 and 85 cars that are getting these, it's not going to be very applicable.

Hello Everyone out there I have bad news and good new. My low mileage 2014 Model S 60 main battery went out on me three weeks ago and luckily it was still under warranty that the bad and good news. But here the problem that I’m facing no, I honor the warranty and put a new 85 battery in which I was totally happy about. But will only upgrade the software to a 70 kw. The range get fully charged is 225 and I asked Tesla about the upgrade and was told they could only reset to a 70 kw which they said would give maybe an extra 15 miles in range for $2k. For $2k I would want the maximum range s 85 kw battery would produce. Is it possible that after they put it in Tesla, could have performed an electronic upgrade on the M60 to make it a M85 using their over-the-air update wizardry? It seems to me such an upgrade would make the car more valuable to me with range of a M85 rather than what I had as a M60? Just curious. Looking for a way to get the true max out of my new battery on a teacher income. Any suggestions I would greatly appreciate. Thank, Matt
Have them ask internally again.. having mine 85 replaced by a 90 and my agent came back to say i can use the whole 90, instead of the initial 85

But will only upgrade the software to a 70 kw. The range get fully charged is 225 and I asked Tesla about the upgrade and was told they could only reset to a 70 kw which they said would give maybe an extra 15 miles in range for $2k. For $2k I would want the maximum range s 85 kw battery would produce.
tl;dr
OP wants his 85 kWh replacement pack, software locked to 60 kWh to match the original pack, turned into 85 kWh for $2,000 at most but cracked for free would of course be preferred.

No comment

Reactions: Rocky_H
I think it's somewhat likely they replaced your 60 with a remanufactured 85 that is substantially degraded. So it provides at least the range that you had before the failure, but it wouldn't make sense for them to sell you the full "85" unlock because the capacity just isn't there.

I wonder if it's also likely that the locked range is locked to the top so that 100% is still 100% and that 0% is not really empty given that a substantially degraded battery is likely to have wider module imbalance resulting in real chance of damage or shutdown when the weakest modules are forced to 0 or even negative by dipping to the bottom SOC range.

Or perhaps the lock is somewhere in the middle.

Also the car will weigh more with the larger battery so unlocking a bit more than the 60 make sense(hence 70 kwh).

Or perhaps the lock is somewhere in the middle.

That is not possible.
-------
To be clear, Tesla is offering an unlock to 70 kWh for $2,000. OP wrote that the extra 10 kWh is good for ~ 15 miles but it is more in the range of 30 - 35 EPA miles, so about $70 a mile of extra range. Fantastic offer from Tesla, particularly in a pack that has built in reserve for long longevity and a better DC charge taper.

OP is whining about the tail hair of a gift horse.

That is not possible.
-------
To be clear, Tesla is offering an unlock to 70 kWh for $2,000. OP wrote that the extra 10 kWh is good for ~ 15 miles but it is more in the range of 30 - 35 EPA miles, so about $70 a mile of extra range. Fantastic offer from Tesla, particularly in a pack that has built in reserve for long longevity and a better DC charge taper.

OP is whining about the tail hair of a gift horse.

What's not possible?

Right, but what makes that not possible? Every Tesla battery is effectively "locked somewhere in the middle" by the BMS as it is, between whatever max voltage and pack reserve they set.
No, that doesn't make any sense. You can't lock out part of the middle of the capacity and only let people use energy above and below that point. It's only possible to lock out either the top or bottom end by restricting the minimum or maximum voltage.

No, that doesn't make any sense. You can't lock out part of the middle of the capacity and only let people use energy above and below that point. It's only possible to lock out either the top or bottom end by restricting the minimum or maximum voltage.
Or you could lock out some of BOTH the top and the bottom resulting in the usable capacity being "somewhere in the middle", which is obviously what @sorka was implying, not this goofy interpretation.

I don't think this is likely, but it's certainly possible.

Slow Tonto. My battery went bad month before warranty expired. Got ""refurbished"". Zero warranty
I asked about buying NEW battery of any kind, ,85,90 or 100. ""We don't make any NEW battery packs to fit your car"". If u spend 22k on ""remanufactured"". It has zero warranty. I think the SC are blowing smoke. They told me there is no way to get any new or used pack with a warranty. There are so many threads on here that it's hard to get the TRUTH from a SC. I have email that says they couldn't order a new pack.
I think we will be going to the new third party repair shops if we want a reasonable price for repair.
Another subject. I just got infotainment upgrade. It really made a great improvement in my old car.

I asked about buying NEW battery of any kind, ,85,90 or 100. ""We don't make any NEW battery packs to fit your car"". If u spend 22k on ""remanufactured"". It has zero warranty.
Right, you've been repeating that on lots of threads here on this forum, and I don't deny that someone at a service center told you that, but that's not really very accurate to keep telling to people as how the current state is. I think that was when pack replacements were pretty new, and Tesla people didn't have very solid policies or reliable information on what to tell people.

$22,000 for used/refurbished packs with no warranty is just not what's happening. Plenty of people have posted pictures of their invoices of what they've had done that show otherwise. There are the two price points for choices--the $22K is for a new pack. There are refurb options that are I think $14K or $12K. The new one definitely DOES come with warranty. I think that one was another 4 years. I can't remember what the warranty coverage is (if any) on the refurbished option.

So it is less dire than what was told to you, and people would be better off having more accurate information.

Slow Tonto. My battery went bad month before warranty expired. Got ""refurbished"". Zero warranty
I asked about buying NEW battery of any kind, ,85,90 or 100. ""We don't make any NEW battery packs to fit your car"". If u spend 22k on ""remanufactured"". It has zero warranty. I think the SC are blowing smoke. They told me there is no way to get any new or used pack with a warranty. There are so many threads on here that it's hard to get the TRUTH from a SC. I have email that says they couldn't order a new pack.
I think we will be going to the new third party repair shops if we want a reasonable price for repair.
Another subject. I just got infotainment upgrade. It really made a great improvement in my old car.
You were given false information.

Reactions: Rocky_H