Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for always on 12v in rear of Model X (late 2018 build)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fiver

Apr 10, 2015
Utah
Short version: I know there are options in the back to tap into, but it seems like you need to be in the car/car powered on for them to get juice. Looking to avoid running a cable from front to back to get a dedicated always-on 12v line in the rear. I don't need a lot of power. Is there anything on the back end of a late 2018 X that has always on 12v?

Longer version: When I sold my S, I took out my Blackvue 650 2ch Dashcam. It's been in my drawer for almost 2 years now. Got to thinking about re-installing it in my X. Instead of putting the main unit up front, and the not so great unit in the rear hatch, I think I'd just install the main unit in the rear window, and put a single new 900 series up front. I know I can pull always on power up front without too much issue (ODB) but is there something tappable in the rear that could also provide always on 12v? The data sheets on the cameras show them pulling less than 5w each in worst case situations so there isn't much draw.

Thx in advance.