TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Looking for an Antenna Person to Pitch in on Improving MS FM Reception

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by lolachampcar, Feb 15, 2013.

1. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

By chance is there a MS owner who just happens to do antenna design for work or hobby? If there is, do you have any ideas for improving FM reception. I'm an NPR fan and its tough to listen to the local station with all the bleed from adjacent ones. This has not been an issue in the past and is MS specific. I'm happy to do the grunt work with proper guidance.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Is there an Internet streaming version of your local station?

3. hvb

hvb Member

Unfortunately, streaming Public radio is unreliable at best. At least that's how it is here in the Seattle area. The stream will get interrupted and restart itself with annoying frequency and seemingly always during a segment that I want to hear. What's truly terrible is it does not pick up where it left off, so by the time the show is back online I've missed a good portion of the segment or it has ended altogether.

4. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Streaming is an option.

I would think there a reasonably simple antenna extension that could be well hidden and would dramatically improve reception.

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

#5 FlasherZ, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    I reported some concerns with FM antenna performance (although mine isn't bleed-over, it's just reception difficulties). The rangers attempted to replace the amplifiers but it did not help. Replacing my rear glass made it perform slightly better (they had to replace it to replace the GPS antenna). Would love to see a solution here too.

6. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

If you're getting interference from adjacent stations, the antenna may not be to blame, but rather the discriminator in the the receiver. That won't be any easy fix. If you have access to where the antenna connects to the radio (I don't have my MS yet, so I don't know if this is easily accessible via a panel) you might try attenuating the signal (make it weaker).

A

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The antenna amplifiers (there are two) are beneath the trim panels that run up the glass on the rear liftgate.

8. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

Yeah, must agree, sounds like the FM section is not of great quality if you get cross feed like that. Lowering the signal can help but is not a great answer. If Tesla is listening, need to test the FM in very strong signal areas. If I may, I am quite impressed with the AM reception, a lost art in the past few decades. Ashamed there is not much to listen to.