Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for anyone's recent experience in buying an Inventory TMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've reviewed the forum and apologize if I've overlooked someone's post, but I'm wondering if anyone could explain their experience in buying an inventory car through Tesla? How long did the process take, did you trade-in your previous vehicle, were there notable issues, how much were you able to take care of before arrival to the Tesla center?

We bought a service loaner S100D back in December. The process was smooth. I did NOT find and reserve the vehicle online (read horror stories on here about people being bounced around between sales people, failing to get timely responses, etc). I called my "local" store (Kansas City), and one of the reps there (Harmony) took great care of us. She found a few cars that matched our specs and sent them to us. We went back and forth a few times and she was always prompt with her responses. We picked one and she took our credit card for the deposit over the phone. The car was in Indianapolis and they wanted $1k to ship it to KC or for the same price they could deliver it to our house in OK. So we arranged to have the car shipped to our house.

There was self-created drama as there was about a week where communication stopped while the car was being shipped from Indy to KC. I started getting nervous about getting the car before the end of the year (for the tax credit). But the car arrived in KC and was promptly shipped down to us with plenty of time to spare.

We traded in our P85. The trade-in offer was on the low side but was painless. Tesla delivered the new car and took the old one. New car was flawless save for the yellow screen disease but I had read about that here. I'm a bit miffed that I didn't read here about the lower charge rate from the new UMC. I was going to just keep our old one but the new one looked prettier, had a nicer case, etc. So I sent the old one with the old car. Then I learn that they pinned the new ones to 32A. Argh.

The car had a Missouri temp plate on it and Tesla FedEx'd the paperwork to register and to transfer ownership of the old car. Everything was done before they shipped from KC. You are able to upload the docs via your Tesla account as well as pay for everything right there. In all a great experience.

My advice is to figure out your closest store and work with a rep there vs going through the website where you have a pool of reps. Good luck!

I bought an inventory Model S 100D, with 500 miles. I have no idea how it spent those 500 miles.

I ordered on Nov. 30, picked up on Dec. 18, 2018. Pick up was in Buena Park, CA.

The only issue with the car: The forward-right ultrasonic sensor was knocked out of position, and points slightly downward. As a result I get lots of false proximity alerts. Not knowing if those were "normal" or not, it took me a couple of months to raise an issue and get a service-center appointment. Now I'm waiting for parts to arrive.

For me this wasn't something I could detect in a purchase inspection, and there was no test drive. I have to rely on Tesla to accept that the problem existed from the purchase date and wasn't caused by landing on a parking barrier. For now I think they're down with that, but I'm fearing being challenged. I have no proof that I didn't cause the problem. :(

Aside from that, the car is a total magic carpet, and I love it.

Reactions: JZifch
Bought a 2015 MS85D "CPO" that was a demo car for 3 months, and 1300 miles, before being leased. Full magic carpet experience. No issues before, during or after purchase including 8k miles since, mostly on a x-country road trip. 309 wh/mi average since purchase Sept 2018, 0-60 in 4 with three adults in car.

We bought a service loaner S100D back in December. The process was smooth. I did NOT find and reserve the vehicle online (read horror stories on here about people being bounced around between sales people, failing to get timely responses, etc). I called my "local" store (Kansas City), and one of the reps there (Harmony) took great care of us. She found a few cars that matched our specs and sent them to us. We went back and forth a few times and she was always prompt with her responses. We picked one and she took our credit card for the deposit over the phone. The car was in Indianapolis and they wanted $1k to ship it to KC or for the same price they could deliver it to our house in OK. So we arranged to have the car shipped to our house.

There was self-created drama as there was about a week where communication stopped while the car was being shipped from Indy to KC. I started getting nervous about getting the car before the end of the year (for the tax credit). But the car arrived in KC and was promptly shipped down to us with plenty of time to spare.

We traded in our P85. The trade-in offer was on the low side but was painless. Tesla delivered the new car and took the old one. New car was flawless save for the yellow screen disease but I had read about that here. I'm a bit miffed that I didn't read here about the lower charge rate from the new UMC. I was going to just keep our old one but the new one looked prettier, had a nicer case, etc. So I sent the old one with the old car. Then I learn that they pinned the new ones to 32A. Argh.

The car had a Missouri temp plate on it and Tesla FedEx'd the paperwork to register and to transfer ownership of the old car. Everything was done before they shipped from KC. You are able to upload the docs via your Tesla account as well as pay for everything right there. In all a great experience.

My advice is to figure out your closest store and work with a rep there vs going through the website where you have a pool of reps. Good luck!
Thanks!