TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

LOOKING FOR Carbon Fiber HARD TOP

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by stenkb, Jan 17, 2012.

1. stenkb

stenkb Roadster 938 Model S 5957

Since there is such a long backlog to get a new CF hardtop - was wondering if anyone doesn't use theirs and might want to sell........worth asking I guess.....

2. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Check Sector 111.

3. chris22104

chris22104 Member

Are the lotus elise hard tops exactly the same as the teslas, including the mounting hardware? I'm asking because I may be needing a hard top in the near future too, and would like to find a used one if possible (non-cf, and will paint to match.)

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Check this thread: alternative carbon fiber hardtops
    No, but I think they still work. The Lotus hard tops mount in front of the roll bar, similar to the soft top. The Tesla hard tops mount over the roll bar.

5. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

I have a Lotus hardtop. It's a perfect fit and as Doug says, it fits lower down. I prefer the look of it.

The only downside is that the Tesla top is a very pukka piece of hardware; it's very well finished inside and out. My aftermarket example took a year of fiddling to get right. It's there now but for a year I had to figure out why it squeaked or rattled over bumps. A year later I have bushes, foam edges and have filled the whole shell with expanding foam to create something quiet and warm.

I edited my post to include that: alternative carbon fiber hardtops

6. stenkb

stenkb Roadster 938 Model S 5957

#6 stenkb, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    new buyer beware: I was emailed from a SERGIO RAMIREZ DIAZ - although he didn't even spell his name correctly throughout the email......lol.......wanted to sell me his CF hard top - wait till you see the pic........anyways I looked up his name and see he tries this M.O. in different forums - asking for payment by western Union or Bank transfer. I laughed it off but want to make sure no one else gets targeted.... Carbon Fiber HARD TOP.jpg

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah... that'll fit...

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Watch out! Does he play the sax? SERGIO!
    Hulu - Saturday Night Live: SNL Digital Short: The Curse