Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for definitive answer: Does the 20 year NEM lock get reset when a new NEM2 system is added to a NEM1 system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, like every business these days, people are not only NOT rewarded for solving problems, they are actually penalized for doing something that is 'not in the book', even if it's better. This is supposed to be better for companies bottom lines but IMHO, it's not. I had a Tesla Solar Roof installed after my PWs were installed and if a Tesla employee had not acted on his own, along with a couple of rouge engineers, I suspect I would have ended up with a system that did not work properly.

Now that I am off my soap box I think it will work OK, just not as good as the solution you could have. They are basically just going to set your thermostat to OFF if I read it right. I have seen lots of commercial solutions that do just that. Before I bought the 'variable speed heat pump pill', I was going down the same path as you. And Tesla probably would have come after me if my system failed since I would have had to add on to what they installed.
The problem with setting the thermostat off is I would not be able to use propane heating in the winter when the power is out. I do not want to give that up.

Ah. Got it.

Well you could let them do what they want, Then after they leave, do what you want, and if you have an issue, revert to their solution before you contact them. 🙂
That was my plan. But they sent me a very specific email saying that I would void my warranty if I modified their wiring. While it is unlikely they would be able to detect the wiring change they could probably tell that I was using the AC during an outage from their end. I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

As I mentioned I have accepted Tesla's offer. As long as they follow through on their end and don't increase the price over what they have already stated or do something that requires me to pay additional monthly/annual fees I'm good.

Yeah the likelihood of you having to pay more than what you're already aware of is low. (edit, it should be zero if Tesla does not seek a NEM2-MT PTO).

In my case some PG&E employees took it as a personal mission to stop me from getting PV+ESS (they told me to my face I was getting scammed by Sunrun and my system hurt PG&E in the long term). Since they thought my system was improper, they went welllll out of their way to enforce every little nit loophole and regulation they have in their power to halt people from getting solar. My insurance guy says across all of the local State Farm reps and thousands of customers with solar... I'm the only person they've ever heard of having PG&E as a named insured on my policy. It took him weeks to even get State Farm underwriters to figure out what I was trying to accomplish because they've never seen it with PG&E.

This is why I personally hate the IOUs for taking their BS position that they somehow were cooperative with NEM 2. and how they have the best interests of "everyone" at heart. Screw these a-holes.

Last edited:
Reactions: astrorob
This is why I personally hate the IOUs for taking their BS position that they somehow were cooperative with NEM 2. and how they have the best interests of "everyone" at heart. Screw these a-holes.

i got some kind of survey in my email regarding my experience with powerwalls. it was apparently commissioned by PGE but at the end of the survey it said "the CPUC thanks you" so god knows who it was really for. anyway in the "any other comments" field i really let PGE have it.

Is there any definitive answer yet on if you add new solar panels to an existing system and apply for a new PTO if that will reset the 20 year clock with pg&e? I am planning to expand solar systems on two of my properties and the biggest reason is to reset the clock on one of them. Its original PTO is 5 years old and both systems began and are on NEM 2.0.

While not a 100% definitive answer (there is still some ambiguity) everything I've seen in writing suggests that the 20 year grandfathering period is not reset when you add more solar. So if you add more solar the your you will still be moved to NEM X 20 years after the install date of the first system unless you put the new system on a different meter.

If you call PG&E it would be interesting to find out if they are still saying that the grandfathering period is reset.

I have a NEM 1.0 system that was installed in 2012. So, I have used up 10 years of my 20 year NEM guarantee. I have ordered more solar and will have the paperwork in before NEM 2.0 stops accepting interconnection applications in April 2023. When I get PTO, my whole system will move to NEM 2.0 and will stay there until 20 years from my 2012 PTO = December 2032. Then I will have to move to whatever solar billing scheme is in effect at that time.

This progression is pretty well documented by PG&E. If you want to reset your NEM grandfathering period, you have to completely remove your current solar system, get it removed from your PG&E account and then install a new system with a new interconnection application. I don't believe such a thing will be easy to do if you are just starting now, in the middle of February 2023, and intend to lock in NEM 2.0 for 20 years.

I understand the issue with NEM 3, but what is the negative difference between NEM 1 and NEM 2. I am 6 years into NEM 1 and considering 2 possibilities. What would be the impact?
1. Install a Battery?
2. Add more panels?
Can I increase my panels by a small amount without getting sent to NEM 2?
Thank you.

NEM 2.0 requires payment of "Non-Bypassable Charges" that don't exist with NEM 1.0. This is approximately $0.03/kWh drawn from the grid and is not offset by your generation.

The NEM tariffs state that you can retain your NEM status if you add more panels or repair existing panels as long as the modifications don't increase your total CEC-AC rating by more than 10% or 1.0 kW from your original PTO. CEC-AC rating is the DC rating of the panels multiplied by the CEC inverter efficiency. Adding only 1.0kW of panels to a system of less than 10kW is usually not worth doing.

Reactions: Nosken
I understand the issue with NEM 3, but what is the negative difference between NEM 1 and NEM 2. I am 6 years into NEM 1 and considering 2 possibilities. What would be the impact?
1. Install a Battery?
2. Add more panels?
Can I increase my panels by a small amount without getting sent to NEM 2?
Thank you.

You're also forced to be on a ToU plan (where energy is more expensive at certain hours like 4pm - 9pm) under NEM2.0 w/ solar. Without solar, I was on the old plan where it was set rates based on baseline, over baseline.

I'm not sure if they forced everyone to ToU now with/without solar.

I have a NEM 1.0 system that was installed in 2012. So, I have used up 10 years of my 20 year NEM guarantee. I have ordered more solar and will have the paperwork in before NEM 2.0 stops accepting interconnection applications in April 2023. When I get PTO, my whole system will move to NEM 2.0 and will stay there until 20 years from my 2012 PTO = December 2032. Then I will have to move to whatever solar billing scheme is in effect at that time.
So you are saying the switch from NEM1 - NEM2 restarts the 20 year clock?