TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Looking for dryer outlet splitter so I can keep both charger and dryer pluged in

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Chinarado, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Chinarado

Chinarado Member

Im looking for a dryer outlet splitter so I can keep both charger and dryer plugged in (realizing that I must only use one or the other). It is a hassle to pull out dryer from the wall, unplug dryer, plug in charger, and then reverse the process frequently. I want a splitter so I can keep both plugged in. I fully realize (duh!!!) that I can't use both at once, but these type of recepticals are not made for daily plug and unplugging. It's lesser of two evils. I plan on using this for the times when I visit friends house for a week or so, not full time at my house which is properly set up with 14-50.

Anybody seen such a splitter which would allow me to have both charger and dryer plugged into my dryer outlet at the same time?

2. WMAC

WMAC Member

Electrician can install another outlet for pretty cheap - even if they need to split off another box from the main line.

3. hugenbdd

hugenbdd Member

Not endorsing, but this guy sells them and it's the only ones I have seen. He also builds OpenEVSE's. He posts in the for sale forum on the My Nissan Leaf site.

Dryer Buddy BSA Electronics

4. Chinarado

Chinarado Member

I decided to go with the Dryer Buddy. After considering different options, for my case it was best choice. It is for short term use (days to a week) when visit friends (different locations) and want to use their dryer outlet overnight. I will ensure that operatinal discipline is used to ensure both (charger + dryer) are not used at the same time. I will employ fit for purpose "lock out / tag out" proceedure to ensure both are not run. Other more permanent (electician installed) options were not viable for me. I also wanted something "portable".