Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for guidance - odd vibration cruising between 60-75mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought a used MS with 53k on it and its pretty much been a headache from day one. I had the MCU upgraded to solve the first headache, which took tesla 16 days, but now that's done. I told them about this vibration while it was there and they checked the half shafts and confirmed they are good. The symptom is also not that indicative of half shafts. This is what happens; around town I can feel an occasional vibration that almost feels like the buffeting that comes from a targa top or leaving one window open. That helicopter like chop, its almost like you hear it rather then feel it. But its on the highway where its very pronounced. Between 70-73 it is the most noticeable while maintaining speed. There is a slight vibration in the steering wheel like something I have never felt before; doesn't feel like bad alignment or unbalanced tires. But again, the best way I can describe is a vibration I can both hear and feel, like buffeting. The highway is almost brand new pavement with nothing in it that would cause some sort of reverb, and my other three cars are smooth as can be down this road.

What I am trying to figure out is what the hell to do with this thing. I have owned over 70 cars and I have never bought a lemon, but stuff like this makes me think I may have finally found one. I am well within my lemon law period on this car so I am just trying to figure out if I have stumbled into a tesla that is going to be nothing but problems or if this kind of thing is normal with an older Model S? Do they just kind of have weird vibrations from time to time? I haven't owned a Tesla before but two other electric cars and they were both smooth as can be.

Just checking the most basic first, are you sure you do not have lane departure warning and getting into a situation where you may be drifting onto the lane marking on either side of the car. That will produce similar type of vibration which you'll feel transmitted through the wheel.

There also were some complaints on earlier late 2016/early 2017 'refresh' models when the newer style front fascia was introduced. That was related to an aero vibration situation being set up with the front bumper. Solution to that as I recall was Telsa had to do a little adjustment of 'stuffer' behind the lower front bumper.

Check the bump stop of the trunk lid. Make sure they are touching the surface of the trunk lid. If not adjust them accordingly
This did the trick for me. Such a pleasant ride now at those speeds. At least much more so than when that “droning” sound was present. Night and day difference. I followed the advice in the video. But I also applied the same logic to the bump stops under the frunk. Not sure if that also helped, but overall great advice!

• Informative
Reactions: Gixx1300R
I had the same issue with my December 2016 MS90D. They tried the bumper foam thing it didn’t work. This is what finally fixed it as detailed on the invoice:
“Technician found contact between lower duct and radiator support causing vibration. Corrections: Fascia Assembly - Front
R/R front fascia to reinforce lower duct."

Definitely going to try the rear hatch thing because it does feel like buffeting. Now I'm wondering if the vibes are just a Tesla thing. I rented a model 3 on the vacation I'm on and it has a similar feel through the steering wheel. Both cars have lane departure warnings off.

Definitely going to try the rear hatch thing because it does feel like buffeting. Now I'm wondering if the vibes are just a Tesla thing. I rented a model 3 on the vacation I'm on and it has a similar feel through the steering wheel. Both cars have lane departure warnings off.
This more or less solved the problem I was experiencing. Not perfect but well within what I would consider normal now at highway speeds.

• Love