Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for Guidance on a Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All, I'm in the market for a used Model S and would very much appreciate some guidance. I've had my eye on a Model S for some time, but only recently have had an opportunity to test drive a Model X, 3, and S. The S was my favorite by far.

I'm looking to replace my daily driver ICE coupe with a larger sedan. Range is not an issue as I drive less than 10 miles per day on average, but I don't want to give up too much on performance.

Here is my wish list:

- <4.5 second 0-60;
- Facelift;
- FSD;
- HW 2.0+;
- Budget 55k out the door; and
- Still under bumper to bumper warranty.

I've been searching EV-CPO daily and keeping a pulse on pricing and it looks like a 75D 2.0+ will be my best bang for the buck if I purchase through Tesla. I'm looking at HW 2.0 with FSD to get the eventual free upgrade to 3.0. I want to have Teslacam and video recording Sentry and will likely upgrade to MCU 2 if I get a pre March/2018 model.

Considering current market conditions, part of me thinks I may be able to get a newer model/larger battery model with a private-party cash offer over the next 6 months or so.

Am I on the right path? Thanks in advance for any guidance; good, bad, or indifferent.

Looks like you have identified your requirements and have done your homework so far. Nice job. I only have a couple of comments. My car was one of the first MCU2 cars built in March 2018. If you think it is worth it and your budget can tolerate it, MCU2 is nice (you might also be able to upgrade, as well, but would lose FM). The general timeframe around early to mid 2018 was a decent period for general quality, fewer rattles, fit and finish (again, just my opinion), so even an MCU1 car built in 2018 could be a nice fit for you. Might also consider finding one that was well cared for from a private seller.

• Informative
Reactions: trialNerror
Looks like you have identified your requirements and have done your homework so far. Nice job. I only have a couple of comments. My car was one of the first MCU2 cars built in March 2018. If you think it is worth it and your budget can tolerate it, MCU2 is nice (you might also be able to upgrade, as well, but would lose FM). The general timeframe around early to mid 2018 was a decent period for general quality, fewer rattles, fit and finish (again, just my opinion), so even an MCU1 car built in 2018 could be a nice fit for you. Might also consider finding one that was well cared for from a private seller.

Thanks for the quick reply and insight. Can I assume all March/2018 models come equipped with MCU2?

I've been watching the used Model S market as well. I have a '14 S85 and am looking to move up to a circa 2016-2017 P100D. I think there is currently a HUGE bid ask gap in the used car market. Sellers are trying to hold on, but no one will pay their prices. There is about to be a huge reset with great buying opportunities, but you have to be patient. Definitely not my forte.

I've been watching the used Model S market as well. I have a '14 S85 and am looking to move up to a circa 2016-2017 P100D. I think there is currently a HUGE bid ask gap in the used car market. Sellers are trying to hold on, but no one will pay their prices. There is about to be a huge reset with great buying opportunities, but you have to be patient. Definitely not my forte.

Agree completely. My brain is saying "keep your powder dry," but my heart is screaming "buy now."

Reactions: blodg1
It sounds like you're on the right track. Just about any Model S will beat the 4.5 0-60 time and if you've never driven an EV before, you are in for a treat with the instantaneous torque.

I would advocate for buying from Tesla to get the 4 yr/50k mile warranty but this is purely subjective. Agree with others that MCU 2 is preferred (3/18 or newer) but you should be able to upgrade an older MCU 1 to MCU 2 eventually. Based on your needs a 75D would probably fit the bill pretty well. Just be sure to get one with the subzero package and heated steering wheel if you live in an area with cold winters.

Thanks for the quick reply and insight. Can I assume all March/2018 models come equipped with MCU2?

Not all March 2018 cars got MCU2. Mine was built on 3/15 and delivered on 3/22. I wasn’t sure if I would get MCU2 or not, but was happy that I did. I know some early March cars got MCU1. If you find a March 2018 car you are interested in and don’t know which MCU it has, you can run a test on the browser to find out.

Reactions: trialNerror
I think the cheapest 60 D/75D with a four year warranty find from Tesla is your best bang for the buck. In the future you’ll probably have bigger depreciation versus the cars that don’t have full self driving so just having auto pilot one or two won’t make much of a difference. As of some articles written this morning wholesale prices are down 10 to 15% but used dealers and private sellers are keeping the prices how they were before the crisis so far.