TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Looking for help evaluating a used Model S for sale in CA, 95742

Discussion in 'California' started by orion, Jan 3, 2020.

1. orion

orion Member

Hello,
    I'm searching for a pre-owned Model S and found one I'd like to purchase at a car dealership near Sacramento. I considered having it shipped to St. Louis and purchasing sight unseen but realize that would be a huge risk. I wanted to reach out to the forum to see if there were any members near Sacramento that might be willing to help me evaluate the car? I'd gladly pay for your time and would greatly appreciate the help!
    Thanks,
    John

2. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

95742 is Rancho Cordova area — being more specific might help you find someone. I might be able to check it out, but not until next week. DM me if no one else can help out.

3. Tigerkc

Tigerkc Member

Be aware that car purchased in California must pay CA sale tax (~9% depending on the county / city). Does this apply to you?

4. orion

orion Member

Thanks for the location info and offer!

5. orion

orion Member

I was not aware but googled California car sales tax after reading your post. I found " You don't pay California's sales tax if you ship the vehicle from the dealership to your out-of-state destination." but asked the dealer to verify. I appreciate the warning, that would make a significant impact on the total cost of purchase.

6. sevenout

sevenout Member

I work in Rancho Cordova. Only issue is that I will be out of town for the next couple weeks for business. Soonest I could go take a look at it would be around the 21st. Let me know if you can't find someone else before then.

7. FatherTo1

FatherTo1 Member

I also live in Rancho. Is it listed at the local Toyota dealership? Before we bought our S, I test drove several Teslas from Folsom Lake Toyota. Most of the cars were in great condition and priced fairly (cheaper than Tesla, but of course without the extra Tesla used car warranty; factory warranty still applies). That particular dealership sells tons to out-of-State buyers.

Please share where the car is located and I'll see if I can be available to help take a close inspection.

8. orion

orion Member

I appreciate all the offers and have been looking into shipping quotes while speaking with a few dealers today. I may have posted the request a little early, the dealers are set on their advertised price of ~$57k and I assumed I'd be able to negotiate down to $55k, which is the maximum I can spend. I found several in the area, 2018 75D's that were previous Enterprise rentals with 15k miles, all around $57k. Autopilot is not active and lacks features, but has MCU2 and the option to purchase FSD, if/when available.

9. cookie99

cookie99 Member

mine was $53k with 19k miles from So-cal

10. orion

orion Member

Good info! Were you able to negotiate the price? I've tried two in the area but either would budge from $57k. Would you mind sharing the dealership you purchased from?

11. cookie99

cookie99 Member

south coast mitsubishi

12. FatherTo1

FatherTo1 Member

I considered traveling the 400-miles to South Coast Mitsubishi to buy ours. They did seem to have the best prices in California.