Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for High Power Wall Connector Installation Manual (with dimensions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an electrician coming today. Since the wall charger is used, I wanted to make sure to provide sufficient info.

I really appreciate your help. I'm quickly learning that the best part of owning a roadster is the roadster community.

Just curious, but what sort of $$$ estimate did you get for the professional install?

I'm getting along pretty well right now with my UMC and the 10-30 dryer plug in the garage. 240v / 24a, seems to meet my needs, especially since I can usually charge at work. But, looking down the road a bit, if the UMC dies (I hear they're prone to this), I'm going to need to bite the bullet and get a "real" charger. If the cost is too outrageous I'd probably go with an OpenEVSE and stick with level 2.

Our house main breakers are only 125 amps, and the panel is full, so I'm guessing it's going to be painful...

I was looking at around $500 to get the wall connected installed but I don't have any open spots in the fuse box. The electrician is considering swapping out the dryer breaker (since we use gas), install an "80-80 quad breaker, with 20, 30, or 50 on the sides." He went to Home Depot, but couldn't find anything and was going to go home to research breakers on Amazon. He said he may need to pass on this project.
:-(

I'm know I'm not adequately describing the situation. The guy seemed solid.

The breaker for the garage outlets happens to be the same one that C trolls the TV outlets, so I have to run an extension cord into the laundry room to even charge at 110.

With the HPWC, is it possible to use a 60 breaker if I reduce the amount of charging amps the roadster draws via the roadster touchscreen or does the HPWC require 70-80 amp breakers?

My guess is that the electrical code would require a circuit capable of supplying the maximum the HPWC could draw. I don't know if the HPWC can be configured for a lower maximum, and if the code would consider that as sufficient. If not, you're in a similar situation as I am (needing a new panel).

I'm guessing that your dryer circuit terminates in the house, not the garage. If he can replace the existing circuit with a run to the garage, you could use the OpenEVSE in the garage and get ~40 amps from it. Sell the HPWC, and maybe even come out ahead.

OpenEVSE Kit - 50A Value

Just a thought...

My guess is that the electrical code would require a circuit capable of supplying the maximum the HPWC could draw.
That's correct. DO NOT try to limit charging rate using the VDS in order to comply with your breaker limitations.

I don't know if the HPWC can be configured for a lower maximum, and if the code would consider that as sufficient. If not, you're in a similar situation as I am (needing a new panel).
It can be reconfigured to a lower maximum output. If it's the HPC that was built by ClipperCreek then you have to send it back to them and they will re-program it for free. I've heard of them sending the hex file and allowing customers to flash the chip themselves but I don't think they do that very often.

this is mine. does this help?
IMG_5443.JPG

that's it. thanks! i see the specs call for a 90a circuit breaker. do u know if this will work with anything less? meaning could i use this on a 30amp?
See reply by @hcsharp above in Post #28.
It can be reconfigured to a lower maximum output. If it's the HPC that was built by ClipperCreek then you have to send it back to them and they will re-program it for free.