TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Looking for ideas and examples of HPWC or 240V outlet installed outside on a pole

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by David29, Jan 6, 2016.

1. David29

David29 Member

I am trying to figure out the best way to mount a charging outlet outdoors. This might be a 240V outlet or a Tesla HPWC, not yet decided. Either way, I need to mount it on a pole or similar structure as there is no building close enough. And I need to mount it high enough to be above accumulated snow. So I am thinking about using a 4"x4" pressure treated post set into the ground next to the parking space.

So I am looking for ideas and examples of any other similar installations -- outdoors, away from a building, in the snow belt. I'd probably want to have a locking cover if I use a 240 V outlet. And some people have suggested that I need to put the outlet/HPWC under a protective cover -- some sort of roof or maybe in a box. So I might need to mount a plywood panel or something like that on the pole, to provide enough space for the cover or box.

I've seen some photos of mounting arrangements on building walls, and one in a bollard on the ground. But none yet on a free-standing post.

Commercial chargers can be purchased with a metal stand but they appear to be very costly and might be overkill.

Thoughts? Photos?
    Thanks!

2. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Clipper Creek makes a nice pedestal designed for the Tesla HPWC. See Single TESLA® Wall Connector Pedestal

Also, here is a picture of the nice setup that the San Diego Service Center has:

San Diego.JPG

3. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Take look at my charging pole installation: Charging

4. Knobby

Knobby Member

5. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

6. David29

David29 Member

#6 David29, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    Thanks! That is just about exactly what I was thinking of.
    And I found your explanatory notes in the other thread linked above that show that the cap is a solar powered lamp. That is a nice touch! Helps to protect the wood from moisture, too.
    Can you give me any further info on the solar lamp cap -- source or a link?
    Thanks again!

7. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Solar lamp cap bought at Home Depot.

8. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I installed this 50A RV outlet at Lake Tahoe on the skirt boards of my front porch. Since it is covered and lockable (lower right corner of cover takes padlock), it should be fine on your post.

GE 50-Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet-U054P - The Home Depot

de15f409-70ad-4fb5-82f6-4e7f206fab3c_400.jpg

In your case, you will need to run wires in water-tight underground conduit to the post. There is a knockout on the bottom and on the back of the box as well as both sides.