Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for Model S owners with a HPWC in Albany, Syracuse and Buffalo NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to drive from the Boston, MA area, to Avon, OH (a bit west of Cleveland) on Novemeber 30th/December 1st, for a week of training starting December 2nd-6th.

There are no SuperChargers on the route yet. I have found 90A EVSE's installed by "Sun Country Highway" @ Best Westerns in Albany and Syracuse, nothing high power in Buffalo. I'm looking for owners who might be near I-90 along the route, for having a backup, and in case the weather is bad, and my estimates are off for where I need to charge...

Here is the google map of the route:
Driving directions to 33665 Chester Rd., Avon, OH - Google Maps

I am willing to pay for your electricity and hospitality, this 685 mile trip (10-11 hours in an ICE car) without SuperChargers should probably not even be attempted, as I'll have more time charging (even at high power, I have dual chargers), than driving. any assistance is welcome. I noticed the "Fall 2013" SuperCharger map does show some SuperChargers north of Lake Erie, but nothing south. I am wiling to drive that route (even though it's longer), if the SuperChargers are up and working, I've emailed Tesla to ask when they'll be online, could take 48 hours for a reply. Also appears there isn't a "car ferry" service that crosses Lake Erie yet (just plans debating putting such a ferry in)

Note: I have an 85KW Model S, the reason for the particular locations picked in Albany and Syracuse is they have CS-90 EVSE's

Mitch

Last edited:
Seems to be a high-powered charger in Clarence, NY near Buffalo. Ron A. on PlugShare. Seems like lots of pictures and even a positive review. I would check on that for Buffalo. Did not see any PlugShare locations for Albany or Syracuse that is higher powered than regular L2 stations.

Thanks, Will take a look. "Sun Country Highway" link, CS-90's are at "Best Westerns" on I-90: EV Trip Planner | Sun Country Highway

There is also a southern route on I-80, that would allow me to use 1 SuperCharger in Darien, CT, but then doesn't look like much in Pennsylvania, about 513 miles from Darien CT SuperCharger to destination :(

Thanks, Will take a look. "Sun Country Highway" link, CS-90's are at "Best Westerns" on I-90: EV Trip Planner | Sun Country Highway

There is also a southern route on I-80, that would allow me to use 1 SuperCharger in Darien, CT, but then doesn't look like much in Pennsylvania, about 513 miles from Darien CT SuperCharger to destination :(

If you use the Darien route, you can get a top up from the Tesla store in Short Hills (70mi), NJ, then hop on I-80 where I see on PlugShare a Tesla home charger in Danville, PA (150mi) and top off again in Bellefonte, PA with another home charger(80mi). Both right off the highway.

Then take a bit of a southern route to Pittsburgh, where there are several high-powered charger options shared out. From there it is only 150mi or so to Avon.

If you get in touch with those 3 charger owners you should be good on that route with minimum wait.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, it turns out the business I am going to doesn't have any EV charging or even 120V outlets, all of the hotels only have 120V outlets only. Since this is a business trip, my employeer will pay for a rental car, so I'm just going to go old school ICE for this trip, it's also 1,500 less miles on my Model S, and its a $300 rental for the week.. thanks everyone.

No worries! Certainly less headaches until SuperChargers are up with an ICE. It would have been about $825 in mileage reimbursement, and 1500 miles extra when re-selling may or may not be worth that much. Certainly tire wear and 1/8th or so of your maintenance mileage also has a cost.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, it turns out the business I am going to doesn't have any EV charging or even 120V outlets, all of the hotels only have 120V outlets only. Since this is a business trip, my employeer will pay for a rental car, so I'm just going to go old school ICE for this trip, it's also 1,500 less miles on my Model S, and its a $300 rental for the week.. thanks everyone.

You are welcome to use my HPC in Clarence as suggested above. Just call ahead. I am listed in Plug share.

Ron

- - - Updated - - -

I also installed the sun country level 2 chargers in Syracuse at the Carier Circle Best Western off of exit 35 and at the Albany Best western (soon to be obsolete to tesla owners due to the supercharger (yes!!). These chargers will get you a bit over 50 miles per hour of charging.

Ron