Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for MS with AP1 under $42K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking for a Model S maybe around the Texas area. I don't really feel like waiting for my M3 anymore.

Not too particular on battery size or dual motors or the miles on it, how realistic is it to find a model s that's under $42000 with Autopilot?

I may also consider a non auto pilot version for under $30k.

find me one at that price too... LOL

I agree with others that you might be a little too optimistic on your pricing... and if you find one at that price I don't know that it would be in that great of shape and certainly would be out of warranty...assuming you are very budget conscious you might be rolling the dice a bit there...

So, I am actually exploring the possibility of buying a Tesla just to rent it out to Turo.

Based on the daily rental rate in my city for teslas and expectation that the car gets rented out 3-5 days a month I would be able to break even with the car payment up to the following car prices after Turo takes it's cut.

Basic Tesla(2013-2014) - Under $35000
Tesla with old nose cone + AP - Under $45000
Tesla with new nose cone + AP - Under $55000

From a renter's perspective the range is not as relevant to most because it's mostly perspective buyers or enthusiasts and not necessarily people looking to go on a road trip. So a higher range wouldn't necessarily give me enough advantage to charge higher per day.

I could technically trade in my current ford and extend my budget to up to $65k but thats just too high of a number for me to take a risk in case things go south.

i think it is a good deal considering it is a AP1 car..... it is likely not moving because although the green is a cool color in my opinion it is certainly not that popular. BUT for me personally i cannot imagine owning this kind of car without a warranty (Battery warranty excluded)....

I am looking for a Model S maybe around the Texas area. I don't really feel like waiting for my M3 anymore.

Not too particular on battery size or dual motors or the miles on it, how realistic is it to find a model s that's under $42000 with Autopilot?

I may also consider a non auto pilot version for under $30k.

A CPO RWD AP1 S85 for $42K-$45K is entirely plausible but when they appear, they will go within minutes/hours. It will have higher mileage but will be warranted to 100K miles anyway.

If I could buy back my AP1 S85, I would, and that’s about what it would sell for now *as a CPO car*. No salvage title, no private party.

But again - there weren’t many made. The window started in about 10/2014 and by 4/2015, they started making the D cars.

There’s one caveat beyond the above. While I firmly advocate a CPO S AP1 car as a cost-competitive alternative to a new 3 (keeping in mind that for the non-garaged, SCing will easily add $10K (California dollars) to the TCO over 5 years), there is the matter of range. If you care about range more than you care about TCO, take a hard look at the high end 3 especially when the AWD variant is available.

I may also consider a non-auto pilot version for under $30k.
Available last month :cool:
$27,400 Model S.png

Newbie here but in the same boat. Not sure whether to get a 3 with the higher range, or finding a used S 85 with autopilot under $50k. Figured the 85 would have enough range to drive from SF bay area to the Tahoe once in a while. How does one score a good CPO? hit refresh constantly or find a good advisor?