Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for Paint Protection Film Recommendations in Northern California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a PPF installer in the Northern California area. I actually live in the South Bay. But I am willing to drive up to 2+ hours for a good installer.

You want to see Joe @ OCDetailing in Fremont (www.bayareadetails.com). He has the most experience with Teslas in all of NoCA. He has been my go-to guy since 2013. He really is OCD. No templates, no seams, all custom work. Not cheap but the best. Check out his web site and YouTube videos.

I had a front end wrapped by:

AutoProFilms Clear Bra - Belmont, CA

And I'll take my Y to him whenever I decide to take delivery.

I just had my Model Y done by Robert of AutoProFilms. I am very impressed with the quality of the work he did on the front and rear bumpers, mirrors and front fenders. There are absolutely no visible seams or relief cuts in the film. One would be hard pressed to even be able to tell there is PPF on the car. This is not an easy task particularly for the front bumper.

I'm not going to get into details. But I would recommend for those who are picky about the quality of PPF installations to actually visit a couple of shops and look at their work before making a decision. Trust me, it is time well spent. Look at the corners and edges of the panels to see if the edges of the film are visible. Look at lower part of the front bumper to see if there are relief cuts or seams. While there should be no visible edges with hood and hatch closed, one can open the hood and hatch see how nice the edges look.

Last edited:
Take it to Genesis Window Tinting in Roseville/Elk Grove. They specialize in Tesla’s in tinting and PPF and the owners both own Tesla’s! Very professional and perform great work. You won’t regret driving two hours.

Glad to hear you’re happy with Robert’s work!
What did you have done and what did he charge?

Thanks for recommending Robert. I actually took the streets to Robert's place from the South Bay because I did not want to risk getting a paint chip on the freeway. lol

I had front bumper, both front fenders, mirrors, headlights, and rear bumper done in full. I plan to try and PPF the rest of the car myself. If I screw up, I will go back to Robert to PPF the panels I am unable to do. I found the price he quoted to be reasonable.

Update. I just noticed the PPF on my mirrors is applied on the forward facing area only. So the part of the mirror facing inside the car has no PPF. I'm ok with this. But for those who prefer the entire mirror be covered, you might want to ask your installer about this.

Seems like the rocker panels, the rear door ahead of the wheel area, takes a beating from rocks. I’ll be sure to have PPF added to this area. I have another car where this area took a beating too. On that car the PPF looked sand blasted after only 7k miles

The MY might not get beat up that quickly, but other users have already posted their rear doors are getting chipped up.

Update. I just noticed the PPF on my mirrors is applied on the forward facing area only. So the part of the mirror facing inside the car has no PPF. I'm ok with this. But for those who prefer the entire mirror be covered, you might want to ask your installer about this.

yeah. Mine was done in two pieces cause I went stealth. Installers at OCD also confirmed they can’t wrap the MY mirrors in one piece.

was your front bumper done in one piece or two?