TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Looking for pics of the vegan steering wheel

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by investmentgamer, Sep 12, 2015.

1. investmentgamer

I'm planning to order a Tesla soon and I'm considering requesting the secret vegan option with the alternate steering wheel. Have any owners posted pictures of the vegan steering wheel? I'm wondering how its quality and ergonomics compare to the standard one.

2. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I wish I had the non-leather option, or at least was informed of it when we ordered our car. This is the 4th car we've had with a leather steering wheel and I hate the upkeep. I think Leilani Munter's car has the vegan example of the steering wheel.

3. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

There are some pictures here:

Vegan car shoppers try to steer clear of leather | Autoblog

They don't show the whole wheel though...

I think those folks have posted on TMC somewhere, so if you do some digging you might be able to find them and send them a PM...

- - - Updated - - -

Re: the pics – why don't you just contact Tesla and ask them to send you some pics?

- - - Updated - - -

According to the article the The Peterses seems to be happy with the quality.

- - - Updated - - -

@investmentgamer

Just remembered this was your first post...

As I understand it you need to have posted ~five posts before the PM function is available to you. The exact number of posts are not known and could be subject to change by the admin from time to time...

4. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

I have a vegan steering wheel. IMG_6278.JPG

5. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Are the seats stock vegan option?

I miss the dual tone from my previous car...

6. Barry

Barry Member

Can I get one made of carrots?

7. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

I don't know. This is aftermarket vinyl.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

9. Brunel

Brunel Member

I pick up my Model S with synthetic leather steering wheel in less than 2 weeks. I will post a pic (if someone reminds me to stop driving it all waking hours).

8 months wait from ordering!!!

10. investmentgamer

Thanks. Looks very nice! I think I will go for it. My main concern was that my non-vegan wife would not like it if it was a compromise but it looks great.

11. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

I had an upholstery shop near me do this. I didn't do it because I'm vegan, I think it looks bad@$$.

12. investmentgamer

Oh I see, then I am still on the hunt for pics of the one Tesla uses.

Agreed that yours looks bad@$$. :)

13. investmentgamer

Oh I see, so then I still need to find pics of the vegan one that Tesla uses.

14. Brunel

Brunel Member

Picked up my vegan car yesterday. The Tesla staff could not really tell the difference to the other cars in the showroom. iPhone pic so sorry if it looks upside down.

image.jpg

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Very nice. How does it feel? And can you take a pic of the seats?

16. Brunel

Brunel Member

I would say it feels just like the leather wheel and looks good with decent stitching. Unless someone was desperate to touch a cow I doubt anyone would have complaints if this was standard (ducks from people misreading and thinking I am preaching and breaching their human rights ). Just the usual textile seats with synthetic leather.
    image.jpg

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Thanks Brunel. I suspect you may be right re: the steering wheel, so it makes me wonder why it isn't standard. Does it cost more? Less durable?

18. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I would have like to have the non-leather option as well. However, when I ordered my car leather was tied to heated 12-way seats. I could have done without the 12-way, but not the heated.

Errata: The title of this thread always makes me wonder if you're supposed to cut up the steering wheel and eat it (something like a vegan sausage).

19. Brunel

Brunel Member

Same as next gen seats - only in leather when I ordered earlier this year. I am fine with these seats, but I am a slim jim so a little extra vegan hug would be nice.

I do find calling the steering wheel vegan funny - I am not full-on vegan from a dietary perspective, but do keep away from dead things where practical. Get my shoes and belts from vegetarian-shoes.co.uk, now why are my shoes vegetarian but my car vegan?!

20. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

The phrase "secret vegan option" in the original post reminds me of an In 'n' Out menu.