TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Looking for Pics with 3M Crystalline 40

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by GaryRudolph, Mar 24, 2013.

1. GaryRudolph

GaryRudolph Member

Looking for any pictures of cars with 3M Crystalline 40 tinted windows as I'm debating how that looks with a black exterior.

Mostly as the kids this weekend said they got too hot in the back, back seats.

2. HansK

HansK Member

La Canada Flintridge, California, United States
    Yep, first weekend with the Tesla for me. The kids loved the rear seats, then yesterday started to say it was getting too hot. And it's only 72 degrees out here. Opening the windows to blow some air back there helped until we stopped at a light. I'm in La Canada--is there an installer around here that you'd recommend? 3M Crystalline 40 seems like the product to get, although I'm worried about how dark it will be looking out the window at night.

3. gsxrex

gsxrex Member

Well, at the very least, you can use the rear view camera to "look out the back" at night.

4. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

5. GaryRudolph

GaryRudolph Member

I'm trying a new installer in Moorpark to keep business local. But prior I've used Song's Tint Master off the 10 who did a great job on my 6 series, M5, E class, etc.
    Songs Tint Masters - Mid-City - Los Angeles, CA

- - - Updated - - -

Yah after sifting through that thread a found a lot of examples. Looks like the hue of the CR40 will be ok on black.

6. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

If it's not too far away, check out G5 Tint in Alhambra. Not the cheapest, but definitely high quality, check out their reviews on Yelp. They have a location in Pasadena, too, but don't offer 3M products at that one.

7. c2tb

c2tb Member

#7 c2tb, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    I love the heat rejection. I also had crystalline 70 on the front windshield because I still felt considerable heat with the metallic coating in place. 70 has no noticble tint IMHO so shouls be safe ( although possibly not legal )

Attached Files:

8. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

My car has 40% in the back, 70% in the front 3M Crystalline.

Watch my car in gallonsoflight.com and you can get some good views of how the two compare.

I think it's a good mix. 70% is just a little darker than clear. 40% is a good sun blocker/shade, but can still see in from the outside somewhat.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pretty good view of my car from the video showing the 40% (back windows) vs. 70% (front windows):
    Tint.jpg

9. rekoh

rekoh Member

I have 40 on sides and back. 90 on pano. 70 on front (had 90 but changed it to 70 since there was a bubble that they couldnt fix.. had to redo it anyway). The rear window looks mor purple. I am told and have read on here that it is because of the kind of glass that is on the rear, and there is nothing that they can really do -- regardless of the kind of tint they put on.

10. lmskc

lmskc New Member

That's not like any home video I've ever seen - you must do that for a living. Great job.

11. yearofthedragon

Gary, sorry for the mediocre iphone4 image. Both these cars have 3M Cry 40 on the windows. 70 on roof and front winshield.
    3m-crystalline-40-ts1-ts2.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

here's more 'sterile' images under studio lighting. 40 on side and rear windows. 70 on front winshield and pano roof. definitely keeps the heat out in the LA sunshine.

DSC09036_CARBON_tsportline.jpg DSC08993 CARBON _tsportline.jpg

12. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Fyi I had my "purple" rear window 3M Crystalline 40 stripped off and replaced with Madico Charcool 20%. Much better now! Pics here: Model S - Window Tinting - Page 52