Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for previous owner and/or general thoughts of 2014 red P85D originally near Orinda, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at a P85D at a non-Tesla dealer. The Carfax shows it was initially owned in Orinda, CA. It shows a second owner but it looks like the second owner is really the first "owner" but that they bought out their lease. Anyway now the car is in North Carolina via auction. I know it's a super long shot but is that previous owner here?

Separately, I'm wondering what others think about the car going through an auction instead of being resold where it was. My thoughts are that the best car scenario is that the previous owner wanted to go back to an ICE and the dealership that took this Tesla already had more Teslas than they wanted and so auctioned it. The worst case scenario is that it was bought with issues, and because of those issues, dumped it at auction instead of going retail in the local market.

For reference, here's the Carfax

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=5YJSA1H21EFP64305&partner=CDM_O

If I’m not mistaken it looks like the original owner may have traded the car in once it was out of the 50k warranty.
Perhaps he traded the car in to tesla and they sent it off to auction.
I don’t see anything that would indicate the car had issues.

This was not my old Tesla but we had a similar situation (and lived near Orinda at the time, so the market was probably similar). We bought our P85D in late 2014 and traded it in for a BMW in late 2018 when the warranty on the Tesla was set to expire. The BMW dealer actually gave us the highest offer for the car (more than Tesla or Carmax, even more than private parties were offering).

We watched the car sit on the BMW dealer's lot for about a month as they dropped the price several times, then the car ended up at Manheim Auto Auction where it sat for quite a while and was ultimately bought by a used car place in Southern California. So if this car had a journey like ours, your premise of it having been traded to an ICE dealer is likely accurate.

…the best car scenario is that the previous owner wanted to go back to an ICE and the dealership that took this Tesla already had more Teslas than they wanted and so auctioned it…
In that scenario the car should keep its free unlimited supercharging, if that matters to you. If Tesla took it back from lease then likely the FUSC has been removed.