Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for real world - someone must have made this drive...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - so every year I take my daughter to Disneyland and this year she's telling me "its Tesla or not going!" :)

I have an '18 Model 3 LR AWD and will be driving from the Sacramento area to Anaheim (about 440 miles). I have used the site "a better routeplanner" and its pretty interesting. I'm also very familiar with I-5 and know there are several big Tesla spots (Harris Ranch, Tejon).

Just curious for those, and surely someone must have made the similar trip, did you do it with one stop? Two stops? I know there's some variables (weather and speeds etc) but generally just wondering if this can be done with a stop in maybe Harris Ranch and just charge back up to 80-90%. Also the hotel I'm staying at has charging so when its time to make the trip back, I'll be starting at 100%.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Just did a trip from the SF East Bay to San Diego and back (returned Saturday). Use A Better Route Planner for real world data. I drove fast and made an extra stop rather than waiting to fully fill the pack and discharge. Note that Kettleman City is undergoing an upgrade to V3 Superchargers, so about 1/2 are out of service. The lounge there is nice, but you might want to grab your lunch elsewhere (In-n-Out) and then eat there. Bakersfield charger was in a mall-busy. Downey has a nice Urban Supercharger. Tejon Ranch is good. Giustine is tacky. Just take your time & enjoy.

Usually make two stops. Gives me a chance to stretch legs, get a bite/drink and use restrooms.

Arrive much fresher, and no anxiety.

Your display will provide you with a suggested strategy.

Harris ranch is a nice restaurant with bathrooms and a gift shop, but Kettleman (just down the road) is more of a Tesla experience with 40 chargers, solar panels and a nice lounge with a barrister. Both of you can catch up on emails etc with free wifi.

If you can get one of the new V3 chargers you can experience some of the fastest Supercharging ever offered by Tesla.

They also have clean bathrooms and walking distance to a couple marginal eateries.

Can also stop at the Kitchy Madonna inn. Walk over to the hotel and kill some time with your daughter. Don't miss the man cave type Mens Restroom downstairs. You get to pee on a boulder :)

• Informative
Reactions: Sherlo
Thank you - the real word input is much appreciated. The comment about making a couple of stops and "shorter" charging time instead of a longer single stop is exactly what I was looking for...I would never have viewed it in that context. Thanks all!

Reactions: CharleyBC
Thank you - the real word input is much appreciated. The comment about making a couple of stops and "shorter" charging time instead of a longer single stop is exactly what I was looking for...I would never have viewed it in that context. Thanks all!

Remember that your pack charges from 10% to 50% way much faster than from 50% to 90%. Trying to squeeze the last few electrons into an almost full pack is a total waste of time. Drive fast, run the pack down, make a shorter stop and move on. And remember, if you are worried about making it to the next Supercharger, just slow down. Small reductions in MPH have a big impact on energy usage. The Energy graph on your touchscreen has a Trip setting (once you have set navigation to your next stop) and will show expected vs. actual energy use. If the curves deviate a lot, watch out.

In case you need it, Disneyland has EV charging in the two big parking structures (Mickey and Friends and Pixar Pals). They are ChargePoint and you have to pay for it. Just ask the parking attendant when you get there. (FWIW, I've never used them as I am local, I have just seen them). Parking

The closest SuperCharger is in Santa Ana (at the 5/57/22 interchange). There is also charging at the Buena Park Service Center (which is the same distance as Santa Ana and more on your way coming in or leaving by the 5), but can be a crap shoot. There is a SuperCharger in Anaheim, but it is twice as far away as Santa Ana.

Thank you. The hotel we are staying at has EV and is part of the valet service. Right now I'm planning on taking the advice from comments on this thread and will make 2-3 stops. This is a drive I make *a lot* and even before owning Tesla I was aware of the charging infrastructure along I-5. Should be a breeze and I appreciate the information :)

Probably stop at Harris Ranch or Kettleman City depending how low you want to let car run, then do Tejon Ranch so you get enough or more to get to hotel. Once you enter the LA/OC area, the supercharger are busy all the time. ABRP is reasonably accurate. I don't like sitting around for 40 minutes so sometimes a few 20 minute charges are better to walk around a little bit.

Reactions: Sherlo