Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for real world winter consumption values

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 does not have a heat pump so some of my comments below probably do not apply.

Tesla has changed the pre-conditioning algorithm substantially in the past year or so and unfortunately that makes the winter range hit worse. I do the following to try and pre-condition like Tesla did when they first started. Since the Model 3 does not have "range mode", I typically do not route to a SC until closer to arrival time. I monitor the cell temps using SMT and have been able to consistently arrive at SC at around 100F. I have not experienced any charging speed/time hit using this method (not sure about V3 SC). If you let the car pre-condition auto-magically, your wh/m will be higher and the cell temps upon arrival and departure will be much higher. The 4K afterburner heats the cells during the entire Super charging sessions I have monitored and there is no way to preclude such. No matter what the cell temps are departing a SC, after about two hours of driving in "range mode" the cell temps are about the same and none of that stored HV battery heat can be used in none heat pump equipped vehicles. Charging at elevated temps could extend the battery life (I believe some studies have shown this) but is the added charging cost and additional range loss (especially in winter) worth the trade off?

Reactions: Braumin
The car doesn’t report how much power it pulls from the wall, only how much it pulls from the battery. In January my wall charger was eating 16 kWh for every 10 that the car charged.

With that in mind, my January usage averaged close to 1,000 Wh/km according to my wall charger, or 600 Wh/km according to the car. I didn’t do any long trips in January but in December I was getting around 260 Wh/km (reported by the car) for a 3 hr road trip.

The car doesn’t report how much power it pulls from the wall, only how much it pulls from the battery. In January my wall charger was eating 16 kWh for every 10 that the car charged.

With that in mind, my January usage averaged close to 1,000 Wh/km according to my wall charger, or 600 Wh/km according to the car. I didn’t do any long trips in January but in December I was getting around 260 Wh/km (reported by the car) for a 3 hr road trip.

I have learned to charge as soon as we pull into the garage, not the next morning, when it is cold. Then, I can get good charging efficiency in the winter.

1676160332036.png